Jodie Williams left disappointed after missing out on Olympic final in Rio
- Credit: PA
Sprinter Jodie Williams was left disappointed with her display after failing to reach the Rio 2016 Olympic Games 200m final.
Running in lane one, the 22-year-old, who hails from Welwyn Garden City but now lives in Napsbury Park, St Albans, came eighth in her semi-final in 22.99 seconds.
And the Herts Phoenix athlete was left disappointed with her time.
She said: “I’m really disappointed with that. That’s not what I wanted to come out and do.
“No Olympic semi-final is going to be easy, but I’m just disappointed with myself.
You may also want to watch:
“To be honest I feel so fortunate to even be here. Only 24 people in the world every four years make the Olympic semi-finals, so in hindsight I’ll probably be okay with it, but right now I’m just disappointed.”
It was a far-cry from her demeanour after clocking 22.69 in Monday’s heats, good enough to qualify her as the quickest of the fastest losers, and 12th overall.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
Speaking after that run she said: “I couldn’t wait to cross that line and call myself an Olympian.
“I’ve wanted it forever but definitely for the last four years since missing out on 2012 so I’m happy.”
She had chosen to focus solely on making the 200m squad after missing out on the World Championship side in Beijing last year.
To that end she had moved her training to Phoenix in America, something she said helped her “enjoy track again”.