First amateur win for Harpenden's Jack Bigham comes in style with possible Open place
- Credit: LEADERBOARD
Jack Bigham saved the first win of his amateur career for one of the biggest stages - by claiming the R&A Boys’ Amateur Championship at a first extra hole.
The Harpenden Golf Club youngster beat Italy’s Riccardo Fantinelli at the Royal Cinque Ports course in Deal, Kent, to claim the 94th running of the event.
The win adds his name to a trophy previously claimed by the likes of Jose Maria Olazabal, Sergio Garcia and Matt Fitzpatrick and means he now gains a spot in next year’s Amateur Championship, the US Junior Amateur Championship and the final round of qualifying for The 150th Open, to be held at St Andrews.
Speaking on the R&A website he said: "I am over the moon, obviously. I was playing great in the stroke play and just continued all the way through to the final.
"I was a little bit sloppy in some areas but I managed to get the job done.
“It is my only win and I am so happy it was in my last junior event as well.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans