Izzy impresses for Harpenden
Harpenden had their first ever Great Britain representative competing at the 11th World Biathle Championships in Monaco on Sunday. Isobel Thompson, 14, was competing as part of the British Youth B (U17) team having qualified as the sixth member of the te
Harpenden had their first ever Great Britain representative competing at the 11th World Biathle Championships in Monaco on Sunday.
Isobel Thompson, 14, was competing as part of the British Youth B (U17) team having qualified as the sixth member of the team at the National Selection competition in Salford in early August. Isobel, who swims for Harpenden and runs for Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers, had a training session on Larvotto Beach on the Saturday with her team-mates before the competition on the Sunday.
Her event comprised of a 1000m run, 200m swim and 1000m run in the midday heat. A strong field from around the world ensured that it would be a hard fought competition.
Izzy entered her first transition and the swim in a good seventh place but took a kick to the stomach 50m into the swim which meant she left the water for her second transition in 14th place.
You may also want to watch:
She ran a strong second 1000m to maintain her position crossing the line in a respectable time of 11:40s.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 4 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 5 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 9 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 10 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead