Irwin’s brace sets up Vees’ seventh straight win
George Irwin put in a man of the match performance to inspire Verulamians to their seventh straight win in Herts/Middlesex 1.
The winger scored twice in Vees’ 17-0 win at Cheshunt while also showing his defensive mettle with a number of thunderous tackles to quash any chance of a comeback.
His first score was a thing of beauty as he stunned Cheshunt’s defence with a run-in from 50 metres. The kick was missed but Vees led going into the break, thanks in no small part to the defensive work of Irwin, James Hayes and the back row of Andy Macintosh and the formidable Darren Westwood.
The second half saw the game gradually swing Vees way, with Gareth Walters playing a pivotal role at scrum-half. The domination brought Vees’ other winger, Levi White, into the game. And it was his burst that set up Irwin’s second try.
Josh Lawrence started the move as he picked up the ball and broke through the first line of defence. He released White who, with just the full-back to beat, offloaded to Irwin for an easy score. Ben Russell added the extras.
You may also want to watch:
Pressure in the last 10 minutes led to a try for Westwood, from a rolling maul, as Vees ran out comfortable winners.
This Saturday they welcome London Welsh Amateurs to Cotlandswick in the league, 2.15pm kick-off.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area