International basketball heading to Oaklands College in St Albans in the New Year
- Credit: Archant
International basketball is heading to Oaklands College’s St Albans campus when the Welsh national team face Levett Essex Leopards.
The match, which will tip-off at 3.30pm on Monday, January 2, will form part of the Welsh side’s preparation for the 2018 Commonwealth Games qualifiers.
While for the Big Cats, it will be a chance to get the Christmas break out of their system before they face a home double header against Manchester Giants (January 6) and Worthing Thunder (January 8), both at their Brentwood home.
Wales finished seventh in this summer’s FIBA Europe Small Nations Championship in Moldova, beating Gibraltar 67-40 in their final game to avoid the wooden spoon.
Since then they have undergone a change of coach, with Kings Lynn Fury play-caller James Bamfield taking over, and Leopards were pleased to help their former Division One rival.
“It should be a great game for us and a chance to get rid of the Christmas cobwebs,” said general manager Dave Ryan.
“It’s a fantastic venue at Oaklands, and they’ve staged junior international games and camps before.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
“We’re hoping for a big crowd as it’s the end of a long break, and it’s the chance to see something a bit different.”
The game will be played with NBA-length quarters of 12 minutes, rather than the normal 10.
Early bird ticket offers can be found at www.leopardsbasketball.co.uk