International basketball heading to Oaklands College in St Albans in the New Year
- Credit: Archant
International basketball is heading to Oaklands College’s St Albans campus when the Welsh national team face Levett Essex Leopards.
The match, which will tip-off at 3.30pm on Monday, January 2, will form part of the Welsh side’s preparation for the 2018 Commonwealth Games qualifiers.
While for the Big Cats, it will be a chance to get the Christmas break out of their system before they face a home double header against Manchester Giants (January 6) and Worthing Thunder (January 8), both at their Brentwood home.
Wales finished seventh in this summer’s FIBA Europe Small Nations Championship in Moldova, beating Gibraltar 67-40 in their final game to avoid the wooden spoon.
Since then they have undergone a change of coach, with Kings Lynn Fury play-caller James Bamfield taking over, and Leopards were pleased to help their former Division One rival.
You may also want to watch:
“It should be a great game for us and a chance to get rid of the Christmas cobwebs,” said general manager Dave Ryan.
“It’s a fantastic venue at Oaklands, and they’ve staged junior international games and camps before.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
“We’re hoping for a big crowd as it’s the end of a long break, and it’s the chance to see something a bit different.”
The game will be played with NBA-length quarters of 12 minutes, rather than the normal 10.
Early bird ticket offers can be found at www.leopardsbasketball.co.uk