Injury time goal snatches point for London Colney

Action from London Colney's 2-2 draw with Harefield United.

Action from London Colney's 2-2 draw with Harefield United. - Credit: Archant

INJURY time drama saw London Colney snatch two points off Harefield at Cotlandswick on Saturday as Yasin Boodhoo came off the bench to score in the 92nd minute.

Action from London Colney's 2-2 draw with Harefield United.

Action from London Colney's 2-2 draw with Harefield United. - Credit: Archant

Harefield took the lead twice in the game but were struggling to contain Colney’s resurgence as the game entered its latter stages.

But for all their attacks and shots Ryan Thompson’s men looked like a second goal was beyond them but Boodhoo leapt highest to head Kenny Hill’s cross into the net and send the home fans into rapture.

Harefield entered the game sitting 11 points behind seventh placed Colney but faired better in the opening exchanges. Twice Blueboys’ shot stopper Mark Whittamore watched the ball whistle past his posts – first from Jake Girt and then Ben Porter – before being called upon to punch an ominous corner clear.

Colney replied with chances of their own – first from Russell Gallagher who flashed a shot just wide and then Matt Newman saw his effort narrowly sail over the bar.

As the game ebbed and flowed it was Harefield who were posing the threat, utilising Paulo Cicero. The dangerous midfielder forced a save from Whittamore before following up with two more menacing drives that tested the Colney keeper’s ability.

Whittamore’s opposite number showed he too could command his box, punching clear a Hill free kick that looked destined for the goal via the onrushing Shalin Murphy’s head.

Most Read

As the clocked tick towards 40 minutes the deadlock was finally broken. Colney was caught in possession at the halfway line by Ricardo Cannon before setting up Girt who gratefully obliged by sliding the ball past Whittamore.

The Blueboys collected themselves after the disappointment of a conceding a goal late in the first half but their anguish was short lived as Dave Parkinson was bundled over in the box forcing the referee to point to the spot with only a minute of the second half gone.

Parkinson’s spot was pushed away by Garrett but his blushed were saved by captain Matt Sutton who tucked away the loose ball.

Colney were not on level terms for long though. Jake Rosier’s deflected cross evaded the Blueboys’ entire defence, finding Girt at the back post who tapped in his second of the game.

To their credit Colney heads didn’t drop and they upped the tempo in search of an equaliser. Newman, Parkinson and Fitzgerald all came close on a number of occasions but Garrett refused to buckle.

Then just as full time loomed and Colney’s second consecutive home loss looked inevitable, Boodhoo beat Garrett to a free kick from the left to send a looping header into the back of the next for a share of the spoils.