Injury hit Saints pay price for defensive mistakes
Herts Senior County League Division One Cuffley 3 St Peter s 1 THREE first-half errors condemned St Peter s to a 3-1 defeat at in-form Cuffley on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League Division One. The Saints had to change their whole defence from th
Herts Senior County League Division One
Cuffley 3 St Peter's 1
THREE first-half errors condemned St Peter's to a 3-1 defeat at in-form Cuffley on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League Division One.
The Saints had to change their whole defence from their previous outing at Old Parmiterians. Injuries ruled out Hafid Hamzaoui, Matt Gauthier and Martin Canaway while Tony Gauthier was absent due to work commitments.
You may also want to watch:
David Winnie return to action after injury and Anthony Farron was also back at the heart of the defence. Midfielders Craig Chapman and Darren Shea filled in the full back berths.
Craig Staughton and Moussa Rattab were also missing from midfield and Dan Cockerton came in to fill the void.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
Saints were stunned in the early stages when Craig Abbott latched on to a mistake to net for the home side.
Both sides came close before Saints deservedly drew level when Richard Ellis took a left-flank corner and Winnie rose to head on for Sean Workman to add the finishing touch.
With half time approaching, a frenzied spell left Saints reeling. Salih Karakis was gifted the second for Cuffley and, after a mistake from goalkeeper Johnny Shearer, defender Danny Shea was penalised for handball in the box. Ruel Sandiford stepped up to net the ensuing penalty for 3-1.
After the interval, the game lurched from end to end with Cuffley creating the better chances. Goalkeeper Shearer made several excellent saves to keep the score down to three.
On Saturday, Saints travel to Essex to meet Debden Sports. Kick off is 2.30pm. Goals should be prevalent with the two sides having fought out a thrilling 3-3 draw in the reverse fixture.