Injury hit Saints pay price for defensive mistakes
Herts Senior County League Division One Cuffley 3 St Peter s 1 THREE first-half errors condemned St Peter s to a 3-1 defeat at in-form Cuffley on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League Division One. The Saints had to change their whole defence from th
Herts Senior County League Division One
Cuffley 3 St Peter's 1
THREE first-half errors condemned St Peter's to a 3-1 defeat at in-form Cuffley on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League Division One.
The Saints had to change their whole defence from their previous outing at Old Parmiterians. Injuries ruled out Hafid Hamzaoui, Matt Gauthier and Martin Canaway while Tony Gauthier was absent due to work commitments.
David Winnie return to action after injury and Anthony Farron was also back at the heart of the defence. Midfielders Craig Chapman and Darren Shea filled in the full back berths.
Craig Staughton and Moussa Rattab were also missing from midfield and Dan Cockerton came in to fill the void.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 8 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 9 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 10 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
Saints were stunned in the early stages when Craig Abbott latched on to a mistake to net for the home side.
Both sides came close before Saints deservedly drew level when Richard Ellis took a left-flank corner and Winnie rose to head on for Sean Workman to add the finishing touch.
With half time approaching, a frenzied spell left Saints reeling. Salih Karakis was gifted the second for Cuffley and, after a mistake from goalkeeper Johnny Shearer, defender Danny Shea was penalised for handball in the box. Ruel Sandiford stepped up to net the ensuing penalty for 3-1.
After the interval, the game lurched from end to end with Cuffley creating the better chances. Goalkeeper Shearer made several excellent saves to keep the score down to three.
On Saturday, Saints travel to Essex to meet Debden Sports. Kick off is 2.30pm. Goals should be prevalent with the two sides having fought out a thrilling 3-3 draw in the reverse fixture.