Injury hit Saints pay price for defensive mistakes
Herts Senior County League Division One Cuffley 3 St Peter s 1 THREE first-half errors condemned St Peter s to a 3-1 defeat at in-form Cuffley on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League Division One. The Saints had to change their whole defence from th
Herts Senior County League Division One
Cuffley 3 St Peter's 1
THREE first-half errors condemned St Peter's to a 3-1 defeat at in-form Cuffley on Saturday in the Herts Senior County League Division One.
The Saints had to change their whole defence from their previous outing at Old Parmiterians. Injuries ruled out Hafid Hamzaoui, Matt Gauthier and Martin Canaway while Tony Gauthier was absent due to work commitments.
You may also want to watch:
David Winnie return to action after injury and Anthony Farron was also back at the heart of the defence. Midfielders Craig Chapman and Darren Shea filled in the full back berths.
Craig Staughton and Moussa Rattab were also missing from midfield and Dan Cockerton came in to fill the void.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
Saints were stunned in the early stages when Craig Abbott latched on to a mistake to net for the home side.
Both sides came close before Saints deservedly drew level when Richard Ellis took a left-flank corner and Winnie rose to head on for Sean Workman to add the finishing touch.
With half time approaching, a frenzied spell left Saints reeling. Salih Karakis was gifted the second for Cuffley and, after a mistake from goalkeeper Johnny Shearer, defender Danny Shea was penalised for handball in the box. Ruel Sandiford stepped up to net the ensuing penalty for 3-1.
After the interval, the game lurched from end to end with Cuffley creating the better chances. Goalkeeper Shearer made several excellent saves to keep the score down to three.
On Saturday, Saints travel to Essex to meet Debden Sports. Kick off is 2.30pm. Goals should be prevalent with the two sides having fought out a thrilling 3-3 draw in the reverse fixture.