Injury-hit Colney Heath Ladies suffer narrow defeat
- Credit: Archant
Injury-hit Colney Heath Ladies suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat to Offley and Stopsley Ladies on Sunday.
It was a battling performance by Heath who despite a lengthy injury list were able to field a full 11.
However, the 11 consisted of two goal keepers and Sasha Tucker showed great team spirit by turning out as an outfield player.
The game started fast, with Colney having to withstand some early pressure from Offley. But strong defensive play and a few good saves from the Magpie’s keeper Natalie Hilton kept them at bay.
Colney returned the pressure with Holly Sheridan and Lucy Hancock going close to keep it even for the first 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The only goal of the game came on 25 minutes when the visitors had a one-on-one shot past the keeper into the far corner.
A change in formation in the second half resulted in more chances for Colney as they pushed for the equaliser but were unable to put the ball in the back of the net.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
And in a frantic last five minutes, Colney packed the box with players for two final corners and forced the visiting keeper to pull off a brilliant diving save to deny the Magpies the 1 point.
Colney Heath Ladies return to League Cup action next week with an away trip to Essex in the Quarter-Finals.
They then have a run of home league games, 2pm kick off on Sundays with free entry for anyone who wants to go down and support.
Squad: Natalie Hilton, Eustacia Randles, Molly Slade, Viki Allen, Lucy Lockier, Sammy May (C), Kirsty Feasey, Lucy Hancock, Georgia Knight, Holly Sheridan and Sasha Tucker.