Injury-hit Colney Heath Ladies suffer narrow defeat
- Credit: Archant
Injury-hit Colney Heath Ladies suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat to Offley and Stopsley Ladies on Sunday.
It was a battling performance by Heath who despite a lengthy injury list were able to field a full 11.
However, the 11 consisted of two goal keepers and Sasha Tucker showed great team spirit by turning out as an outfield player.
The game started fast, with Colney having to withstand some early pressure from Offley. But strong defensive play and a few good saves from the Magpie’s keeper Natalie Hilton kept them at bay.
Colney returned the pressure with Holly Sheridan and Lucy Hancock going close to keep it even for the first 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The only goal of the game came on 25 minutes when the visitors had a one-on-one shot past the keeper into the far corner.
A change in formation in the second half resulted in more chances for Colney as they pushed for the equaliser but were unable to put the ball in the back of the net.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 7 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
And in a frantic last five minutes, Colney packed the box with players for two final corners and forced the visiting keeper to pull off a brilliant diving save to deny the Magpies the 1 point.
Colney Heath Ladies return to League Cup action next week with an away trip to Essex in the Quarter-Finals.
They then have a run of home league games, 2pm kick off on Sundays with free entry for anyone who wants to go down and support.
Squad: Natalie Hilton, Eustacia Randles, Molly Slade, Viki Allen, Lucy Lockier, Sammy May (C), Kirsty Feasey, Lucy Hancock, Georgia Knight, Holly Sheridan and Sasha Tucker.