Injuries hit Harpenden hard as leaders Belsize Park take the win
- Credit: Archant
Injuries and defeat mad it a miserable day for Harpenden in their top of London Division Two North West clash at leaders Belsize Park.
Harps bagged two converted tries and had a Tom Sweeney penalty in the 20-17 loss but ended up with Sean McLoughlin, Michael Goode and Sweeney himself all exiting the action with knocks.
Fred Gulliford and skipper Oli Lacey also had time out of the game before returning patched up.
The visitors did have the lead at the break thanks to scores from Nick Childs, converted by Will Hales, and a penalty try adding to Sweeney’s earlier kick.
But with the game evenly poised, the increasing numbers of wounded Harps meant they couldn’t exercise consistent control for long enough to fashion any further scores and it was Belsize who added a final try to their tally.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden are now fourth and face Grasshoppers on December 1 in their next game at Redbourn Lane.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 9 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets