Hunt scores his 15th of the season as Town thump Rangers
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town hammered fourth in the table Risborough Rangers with a crushing 4-0 win away from home on Saturday.
Town ran into a 3-0 lead at the break and Harry Hunt added a fourth, his 15th of the season, in the second half to move them up to seventh in the SSML Division One.
Elated manager Danny Plumb said: “This is the best I have seen the team play in two years. We dominated in every department of the game and it bodes well for the second half of the season.
“I am really proud of the team performance and the way the players carried out the game plan. After the lay off we are starting to get some games in and the consistency in our play is coming back.”
The match was a thrilling end-to-end game with many shots on target from both sides and Risborough deserve credit for an attacking display which meant Harpenden’s goalkeeper, Sam Taylor, had to work hard for his clean sheet.
Harpenden opened the scoring in the 21st minute when Ben Dawes stroked a brilliant through ball to striker Hunt who ran on to slot it into the corner. Only two minutes later Harpenden’s forwards were again creating havoc in Risborough’s box and after a goalmouth scramble the ball popped up and Mark Hitchcock headed in the second.
On the 38th minute Harpenden got their third when Hunt ran through and shot on target, producing a great save from Risborough’s goalkeeper only for right back Stu Henderson to pounce on the rebound and thump the ball into the net.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
The pace was frantic, Nick Elliot floated a ball just wide and Ben Dawes hit the crossbar from 20 yards.
Harpenden’s fourth came from an Elliot free-kick which was headed on by Hitchcock to Hunt’s feet who blasted the ball past the keeper from five yards 10 minutes into the second half. Hunt’s 15th goal of the season lifted him to second leading scorer in the division.
Tom Collin shot just wide from close in and a few minutes later he was on target forcing another great save from the Risborough goalkeeper. At the other end, Rangers got a free kick which Town’s keeper tipped over the bar.
Substitute Will Bates had a sparkling 15 minutes and was through clear on goal when clipped by Risborough’s goalkeeper, who was lucky just to get a yellow card. It was a thrilling match and a richly deserved win for Harpenden.
On Saturday, Town are at home to Chesham United Reserves.