Howell hopes to unearth ‘hidden diamond’
ST ALBANS CITY boss David Howell hopes to unearth a ‘hidden diamond’ when the Saints hold a trials day on Saturday, June 23.
Players from all across the country will travel to Clarence Park hoping to impress the 53-year-old, as he begins to assemble a squad capable of mounting a promotion charge from the Blue Square South next season. “I will know more when the players come down for the trails day, but I’m hoping we can find a hidden diamond,” Howell told the Herts Advertiser.
The club has already announced it will play friendlies against teams from the top five of England’s divisions next month, with Chelsea, Watford, Stevenage, Barnet and Luton Town all visiting the home of the Saints ahead of the opening game of the 2012/13 campaign.
One player who looks unlikely to play in a yellow and blue Saints jersey next season, though, is French striker Sakho Bakare, pictured right, who has moved back to his homeland in the hope of finding a team in Switzerland.
“We spent a lot of time with Sakho trying to get him to play for the team,” Howell said. “He is a good player but he also did other things as well which didn’t benefit the team. I don’t think he will be here next season but who knows?”
You may also want to watch:
Howell also confirmed Danny Hart will also not be involved next season as he has moved to Australia.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills