Houlihan bats and spins Wheathampstead 2nds to victory
- Credit: Archant
Wheathampstead 2nds finally get their season off and running and all thanks to Todd Houlihan’s superb half-century.
The heavy showers meant that there was a very wet wicket at Nomansland, so, after losing the toss, WCC were inserted by Preston.
Early wickets came easily to Preston but solid batting by Muarif Hashmi (38) and in the middle order by Richard Evans (27) and Adam Potter (25) meant that Wheathampstead made safe passage through the first 30 overs.
This meant that the innings was perfectly placed for Houlihan. Coming in out of form, he played himself in then dispatched fours and sixes to all parts of the ground. He carried the innings and closed on 54 as Wheathampstead posted 186-7, their second highest score of the season.
Full of confidence, WCC took to the field after tea and Dave Tree bowled excellently once again, taking two wickets in two balls in his second over.
You may also want to watch:
Preston’s Barry Turner took a fancy to Potter at the other end, so Alastair Sykes brought on Keith Martin (2-11) who produced a spell of tight bowling. It was Martin who removed the fluent Turner for 75 and opened the door for Wheathampstead.
Not wanting to keep Houlihan out of the game, Sykes brought him in and his spin took three wickets in seven overs to take the heart out of the Preston innings as they were bowled out for 151.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden