Hot shot Newman maintains scoring streak
London Colney forward makes it three in three
London Colney 1 Boreham Wood 2
MATT Newman maintained his excellent goal scoring record in pre-season netting his third goal is as many games as London Colney lost out to Boreham Wood.
Blueboys boss Ryan Thompson, who fielded ex-St Albans City man Aidy Chaves on the left wing, saw his team come up against a Wood side that included St Albans striker Inih Effiong and despite the Conference South visitors dominating the early possession it was Colney who created the best opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
Aaron Clarke headed weakly at Daniel Lewis in the Wood goal and failed to find the back of the net when put through by both Greg Shaw and Frankie Jowle. Clarke’s striker partner Newman however made no such mistake firing the Blueboys in front with a superb volley from the edge of the box half an hour into the match.
Wood drew level before the break however when a mis-placed pass by Jerome Cole was intercepted by Pelly Ruddock and he found Tony Walker who drew the visitors level.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with the Conference South side dominating the possession but rarely testing Mark Whittamore in the Blueboys’ goal.
That all changed with 12 minutes remaining however when Jon Clements regained possession on the edge of the Blueboys’ box and fired past the Colney custodian to snatch victory.
London Colney: Whittamore; Thompson, Golder, Paradise, McCafferty; Jowle, Stevens, Shaw, Chaves; Clarke, Newman.
Subs: Cole, Fitzgerald, Murphy, Saul, Warner, Wilkinson, Day, Knightly.
Boreham Wood: Lewis (Baker-Owers 45), Lancaster, Warner, Ruddock, Yala, Prince, Lawal, Hunter (Lane 80), Effiong (McEwan 60), Clements, Akinola (O’Connor 80).