Hoodoo continues as St Albans are left floundering in Bath
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City’s poor record at Twerton Park continued as they fell to a 3-0 defeat against Bath City.
City had started the new Vanarama National League South season with plenty of promise and after a win over Concord Rangers and a draw with Wealdstone.
And although they started brightly, they were behind at half-time and the sending off of Ben Herd in the second half for two bookable offences, meant they have still failed to score in the West Country spa town.
Manager Ian Allinson had made the one change from the side that drew at Wealdstone, bringing in Ian Rees for Shaun Lucien to add a bit of stability in the midfield.
And it seemed like a good move early on.
Junior Morias sent a spectacular overhead kick inches over the bar and then, after a scramble at a corner, Ryan johnson hit the bar and Tom Bender saw his follow-up cleared off the line.
But slowly Bath came back into it and they took the lead when Chas Hemmings headed home a corner from the right.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
By the time Manny Monthe had scored their second in similar fashion, Saints were down to 10 men.
Herd’s dismissal appeared harsh with both tackles, the first a coming together and the second a tussle, appearing a foul at worst.
But once he had departed there seemed no way back for Saints and Stuart Fleetwood wrapped up the three points with 10 minutes to go.
Photographer Bob Walkley captured the action in our gallery.
St Albans have a perfect chance to bounce back quickly when they host Chelmsford City at Clarence Park tomorrow (Tuesday).
Kick-off is at 7.45pm.
City: Russell, Herd, Bender (Hill 67), Chappell, Martin, Johnson, Rees (Ball 67), Thomas, Theophanous, Morias, Akinyemi (Hoenes 57)
Subs (not used): Lucien, Merson
Sent off: Herd 64
Bath: Phillips, Bowman, D.Ball, Hemmings, monthe, Rigg, Diallo (Fleetwood), Murphy, McCootie, Morgan (), Watkins (Hutchinson)
Subs (not used): Marshall, Batten
Goals: Hemmings 34, Monthe 65, Fleetwood 80
Referee: Marc Whalley