Hoodoo continues as St Albans are left floundering in Bath
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City’s poor record at Twerton Park continued as they fell to a 3-0 defeat against Bath City.
City had started the new Vanarama National League South season with plenty of promise and after a win over Concord Rangers and a draw with Wealdstone.
And although they started brightly, they were behind at half-time and the sending off of Ben Herd in the second half for two bookable offences, meant they have still failed to score in the West Country spa town.
Manager Ian Allinson had made the one change from the side that drew at Wealdstone, bringing in Ian Rees for Shaun Lucien to add a bit of stability in the midfield.
And it seemed like a good move early on.
Junior Morias sent a spectacular overhead kick inches over the bar and then, after a scramble at a corner, Ryan johnson hit the bar and Tom Bender saw his follow-up cleared off the line.
But slowly Bath came back into it and they took the lead when Chas Hemmings headed home a corner from the right.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 3 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 4 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 5 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 6 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 7 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 8 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 9 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
By the time Manny Monthe had scored their second in similar fashion, Saints were down to 10 men.
Herd’s dismissal appeared harsh with both tackles, the first a coming together and the second a tussle, appearing a foul at worst.
But once he had departed there seemed no way back for Saints and Stuart Fleetwood wrapped up the three points with 10 minutes to go.
Photographer Bob Walkley captured the action in our gallery.
St Albans have a perfect chance to bounce back quickly when they host Chelmsford City at Clarence Park tomorrow (Tuesday).
Kick-off is at 7.45pm.
City: Russell, Herd, Bender (Hill 67), Chappell, Martin, Johnson, Rees (Ball 67), Thomas, Theophanous, Morias, Akinyemi (Hoenes 57)
Subs (not used): Lucien, Merson
Sent off: Herd 64
Bath: Phillips, Bowman, D.Ball, Hemmings, monthe, Rigg, Diallo (Fleetwood), Murphy, McCootie, Morgan (), Watkins (Hutchinson)
Subs (not used): Marshall, Batten
Goals: Hemmings 34, Monthe 65, Fleetwood 80
Referee: Marc Whalley