Honours even in local derby
A point apiece for London Colney and Harpenden Town
SSML Division One
London Colney 1 Harpenden Town 1
AN EVENLY contested local derby saw honours even at Cotlandswick on Saturday. The home side started the brighter but a solid Town defence ensured no real chances falling to Colney’s inform strike duo of Matt Newman and Jimmy Warner.
Town gradually got a foothold into the game with skipper Danny Green and Tom Burns winning the midfield battle. Jack Coombs showed his class on the left hand side of midfield with some fantastic ability and was pivotal as Town dominated the last 15 minutes of the first half but the Colney defence also played their part with a resolute performance.
A shuffle at half time saw Ryan Denys and Mark Hitchcock swap places which immediately paid dividends as some smart play saw Coombes rifle Town two minutes after the restart.
Colney tried to get a foothold back into the game and after a good period of pressure they forced an equaliser from ex-Town man Warner.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Half chances fell to both sides as both sets of players gave everything searching for the winner. The best chance fell to Town’s Denys but the Colney ‘keeper Mark Whittamore saved smartly.
Town boss Bob Fowler was pleased with his side’s efforts and said: “It was an even game which at times lacked a bit of quality but you cannot fault the effort of both teams. I felt we just shaded it with us having a great chance to win it late on but it wasn’t to be.”
“Fowler also commented on his skipper Green’s performance: “I thought Tom and Danny were great in the middle of the park but Danny Green showed again why he is the captain of this team. We sometimes take it for granted the work he does in there but today he never let his opponents settle and it built a good platform for us. Overall I was pleased with my team’s performance.”