Honours are even in county derby
Herts Senior County League Division One Harpenden Rovers 2 St Peter s 2 DOMINIC Bradshaw scored twice as St Peter s picked up their first draw of the season from their game with local rivals Harpenden Rovers on Saturday. Harpenden were without five first
Herts Senior County League Division One
Harpenden Rovers 2 St Peter's 2
DOMINIC Bradshaw scored twice as St Peter's picked up their first draw of the season from their game with local rivals Harpenden Rovers on Saturday.
Harpenden were without five first-team players and St Peter's took advantage of this, making the livelier start.
You may also want to watch:
After ten minutes of pressure from St Peter's, Rovers began to dominate but they couldn't convert their chances, with Chris Jenkinson blasting straight at the 'keeper and Gareth Devoti pulling his shot wide.
Rovers broke the deadlock despite a suspicion of offside as Haydn Williams forced the ball past Saints keeper Chris Collings.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
A goalkeeping error saw St Peter's draw level five minutes later when Paul Green dropped Bradshaw's 30 yard cross-shot over his line. Bradshaw grabbed a second two minutes later. His direct free kick sailed round the wall and 'keeper Green could only push it into the back of his net to give the Saints a 2-1 lead at the break.
Rovers came out with all guns blazing in the second half and they drew level when they took advantage of slack marking from St Peter's. An excellent corner from Poole was met by the unmarked Graham Golds who rose above the defenders and powered the ball home.
Rovers kept the pressure on and, with ten minutes to go, should have been awarded a penalty when Devoti was hacked down from behind, only for the referee to wave play on.
St Peter's then had two chances to steal the points but they were thwarted by excellent stops from Green. Rovers thought they'd grabbed a winner with the last touch of the game but an excellent save from Collings denied Golds a second after he rose highest to meet an Izzard corner.
A draw proved to be a fair result in a game which could have swung either way. The point takes St Peter's into double figures for the season but they are still struggling at the foot of the table. They welcome Croxley Guild to Lemsford next Saturday with kick off at 2pm.
Harpenden: Green, Peacock, Harmer (Hamer 45), Foster, Fox, Jenkinson, Poole (Izzard 76), Williams, Ellis, Devoti, Golds.
St Peter's: Collings, Farron, Court, Henderson, Gauthier, Griffin, Stevens, Thompson, Savory, Bradshaw, Blyth. Used Subs: Paton. Unused Subs: Shea, Njenga, Morris.
l Harpenden's second team lost 4-0 away to Bedmond. The third team won 4-2 against L'Artista to keep their league title hopes alive, with goals from Chris Coleman, a brace from Joe Bray and an own goal.