Home win in Samuel Ryder Trophy
Golf by Alan Booth THREE birdies in the last five holes clinched victory for home player Louis Matamala and his Bishop s Stortford partner David Rickwood in the annual Samuel Ryder Trophy at Verulam on Saturday. That late flourish gave them a one-stroke
Golf by Alan Booth
THREE birdies in the last five holes clinched victory for home player Louis Matamala and his Bishop's Stortford partner David Rickwood in the annual Samuel Ryder Trophy at Verulam on Saturday.
That late flourish gave them a one-stroke win over Porters Park pair Nick Pateman and Jason Mitchell as they competed head to head in a Ryder Cup format of foursomes and fourballs.
It was level pegging in the morning foursomes with scores of 74, but in the afternoon fourballs the Porters Park duo gradually moved ahead, to be two up with five to play, only to be denied over the final stretch, finishing with 69 for 143, as the victors posted 68 for 142. Third were Nick Philp and Simon Hankin of Letchworth, 78, 69, for 147.
"It was a really close battle all the way until those three birdies," said Matamala."It was all down to David, who birdied the par 4's 14 and 16 and then holed for a 2 at the short 17, and we held on for a half at the 18th."
It was Matamala's second title and it came with a new partner. "It was an all-Verulam win two years ago, also playing then with a new partner, Stuart Willerton, now no longer available. I work with the PGA at Bishops Stortford and David is in the pro's shop there, and I have played with him a few times, so I was happy he could join me.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
"Mind you, he plays off plus 2 to my 3 handicap, but I was comfortable in the match, and came in a few times when needed, but I owe it to him."
They were playing against another plus 2 player in Nick Pateman, former Herts amateur champion, and the field of 38 pairs also included another plus 2 in Joel Taverner of South Herts, and another former Herts amateur champion in Simon Hankin (Letchworth). Players taking part in Ryder Cup year in the Verulam tournament which pays tribute to Samuel Ryder, three times captain of the club and donor of the Ryder Cup, came from a wide area, the farthest being by former Verulam club champion Doug Brodie from Nairn in Scotland.
Paul Fox (Harpenden Common) holed in one at the 127 yards 17th, hitting a 9-iron.
Net handicap results: Paul Fox, /Alan Cousins (Harpenden Common) 141; David Hopps, Simon Bloomfield (Verulam) 143; Eric Keith, George Ashworth (Verulam) 143.5. Best morning round: Donald Longmuir (Verulam), Norman Cameron (Porters Park) 79; Best afternoon: Daniel Leuty, Jeremy Dickens (Letchworth) 69.