Holloway lauds OA’s intensity against Macclesfield
- Credit: Archant
Old Albanians head coach Andy Holloway lauded his side for their intensity and tenacity in their thumping 50-26 home win over Macclesfield on Saturday.
OAs have been guilty of playing at their optimum ability for too short a time in matches but that was not the case against the Blues as they racked up eight tries in an impressive performance.
The crucial bonus win leaves OAs sitting 10 points clear of relegation rivals Cinderford and Holloway was full of praise for his side’s endeavour in securing a crucial bonus point victory.
“It was so encouraging to see us perform for a good 55-60 minutes,” said Holloway. “We played some excellent rugby throughout. We were clinical when they presented us with chances and when we created our own and that extremely encouraging.”
Holloway’s side set the tone for a commanding win with an imperious first half performance, running in five tries in strutting style but the head coach knows there is room for improvement.
You may also want to watch:
“In the first half we played exactly how we wanted to. We played in the right parts of the field and our kicking game was excellent,” said Holloway.
“We played efficient, simple rugby and were very direct. Our patience was top draw and after our persistence we took advantage when those gaps appeared and that is promising.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
“We didn’t really deal with their effective, narrow attacking pick and go - we were passive in defending that.
“We scored some decent tries in the second half but perhaps should’ve racked up a couple more but there are no real complaints when you pick up 50 points and a bonus point.”
OAs will look to make it three wins out of four when they travel to Esher in two week’s time.