Hockey: St Albans ladies 1sts keep pace with East Grinstead
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s ladies’ 1sts put pressure on second-placed East Grinstead with a 3-2 win over Old Loughtonians on Saturday at Oaklands.
Starting at 1pm, an hour before their rivals for runners-up in the National League East Conference, Megan Crowson continued her goalscoring form – she bagged a hat-trick last week – with a 24th minute opener.
Seven minutes later Miranda Weeks pulled Old Loughtonians level, and the score remained the same until the break.
The visitors shocked St Albans by taking the lead, Heidi Barber with the goal, but the Tangerines showed their second-placed credentials when Sarah Embrey converted a penalty flick and Natasha Humphris turned in a short corner to sway the tie in their favour.
Needing a win to stay three points ahead of St Albans, East Grinstead were never in trouble as they beat Wimbledon 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
With three games left, league leaders Holcombe have a nine-point cushion at the top so a draw or win at East Grinstead on Saturday will guarantee them the title. A slip up by East Grinstead could see St Albans draw level with them on points if they beat Chelmsford in Essex on Saturday.
Elsewhere in the men’s section: 1sts 1 Richmond 2 (see right for report); Tulse Hill and Dulwich 2nds 5 2nds 2; 3rds 2 Kings Alleyns 2nds 2; West Herts 5ths 1 4ths 3; 5ths 5 Blueharts 4ths 2.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 8 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
Ladies’ section results: West Herts 1sts 3 2nds 1; 3rds 0 Harpenden 1sts 2; Shefford and Sandy 2nds 1 4ths 2; Bodiceas 2 Saffron Walden 4ths 0; Shefford and Sandy 4ths 0 5ths 7.