Hockey: St Albans ladies 1sts keep pace with East Grinstead
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s ladies’ 1sts put pressure on second-placed East Grinstead with a 3-2 win over Old Loughtonians on Saturday at Oaklands.
Starting at 1pm, an hour before their rivals for runners-up in the National League East Conference, Megan Crowson continued her goalscoring form – she bagged a hat-trick last week – with a 24th minute opener.
Seven minutes later Miranda Weeks pulled Old Loughtonians level, and the score remained the same until the break.
The visitors shocked St Albans by taking the lead, Heidi Barber with the goal, but the Tangerines showed their second-placed credentials when Sarah Embrey converted a penalty flick and Natasha Humphris turned in a short corner to sway the tie in their favour.
Needing a win to stay three points ahead of St Albans, East Grinstead were never in trouble as they beat Wimbledon 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
With three games left, league leaders Holcombe have a nine-point cushion at the top so a draw or win at East Grinstead on Saturday will guarantee them the title. A slip up by East Grinstead could see St Albans draw level with them on points if they beat Chelmsford in Essex on Saturday.
Elsewhere in the men’s section: 1sts 1 Richmond 2 (see right for report); Tulse Hill and Dulwich 2nds 5 2nds 2; 3rds 2 Kings Alleyns 2nds 2; West Herts 5ths 1 4ths 3; 5ths 5 Blueharts 4ths 2.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
Ladies’ section results: West Herts 1sts 3 2nds 1; 3rds 0 Harpenden 1sts 2; Shefford and Sandy 2nds 1 4ths 2; Bodiceas 2 Saffron Walden 4ths 0; Shefford and Sandy 4ths 0 5ths 7.