Hockey: St Albans add Olympian to coach staff
St Albans Hockey Club has added another England player to its set up.
After Andy Halliday, the national team’s coach, took over the men’s first team halfway through last season, the Tangerines have announced that Olympian Hannah Macleod has agreed to become the ladies’ head coach.
Macleod recently achieved the coveted 100 combined caps for England and GB and has played at Olympic Games, World Cups, Champions’ Trophies, Europeans and Commonwealth Games. She has been named in England’s World Cup squad to compete in Holland later this month and will look to be part of the Commonwealth Games’ team for Glasgow this summer and other major international tournaments beyond.
She said: “St Albans really impressed me with their desire and commitment to progress and develop both its elite squads and the club in its totality.
“I’m very much looking forward to working with the players and staff during such a key time in the club’s development.”
You may also want to watch:
Macleod will take responsibility for coaching the ladies’ elite squad, whose ambition is to improve on their third place in last season’s EHL Conference East, whilst the second XI will want immediate promotion back to the East Premier League.
A club spokesman added: “Recruiting new talent for the club is vital as we move forward and Hannah’s appointment will hopefully encourage a number of players to join and help achieve those aims.”
- 1 Hundreds of trees felled on Green Belt site 'to make way for travellers camp'
- 2 Injunction served on Redbourn site to prevent any development
- 3 PTA gifts a bear to more than 300 pupils to commemorate return to school
- 4 'Out of touch' government demands more houses in St Albans
- 5 Man assaulted in 'unprovoked attack in broad daylight' in St Albans
- 6 The latest court results from the St Albans area
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire village of Knebworth
- 8 What's happening with district's vaccine supplies? St Albans MP is seeking answers
- 9 Which areas of St Albans district have seen the most people vaccinated?
- 10 Man in his 40s dies after crash between bus and car