Hockey’s Masters European Championships taking place in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
The European Masters hockey tournament is in full swing at St Albans Hockey Club.
Glorious sunshine at the weekend saw more than 500 spectators watching international men’s hockey at Oaklands College, in an event made possible by 70-plus volunteers from the club and locality.
On a clean sweep on opening day, the England over 40s chalked up a 5-0 win over Italy, the over 50s beat France 7-1 and the England over 55s defeated Germany 1-0.
England over-50s manager Tim Ollerenshaw said: “I congratulate St Albans Hockey Club and Oaklands College for their excellent organisation of this prestige event.
“Matt Leedham and Steph Port are well known to England Masters hockey.
You may also want to watch:
“They and their fellow delivery committee members have our highest respect for their effective running of a fantastic and fun showcase event at this great venue.”
The competition at Oaklands continues all week with finals day this Friday including the various age group cup finals taking place between 2pm and 7pm. Entry is free with a wide range of refreshments on site and all spectators are welcome.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 9 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan