Hockey: Royston ladies beat Hertford
- Credit: Archant
With the first team not in action, Royston ladies 2nds took centre stage and earned a 5-0 win over Hertford 3rds.
It took Royston a while to settle in to the game, but the defence kept Hertford from capitalising. The first goal came from Ali Carroll after she capped off a team move by rattling the backboard.
The goal kick-started Royston’s rout as Wendy Holt added the second goal soon after following good work from player of the match Zoe Andrews. A short corner minutes later saw Holt double her tally for the game.
Holt was not done there, though, and she completed a first-half hat-trick with a penalty flick.
The second half saw Hertford up their pace but they were by the strong Royston defence, including great work from Zoe Morland and keeper Eloise Linnett.
You may also want to watch:
Royston’s only goal of the second period came from debutant XJ Ward. She surged through the defence before firing the ball past the goalkeeper.
The ladies’ 3rds were also victorious, beating Saffron Walden 6ths 3-2.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
The men’s 1sts played out a 3-3 draw with Potters Bar. Royston started poorly and quickly went two goals down despite seeing much of the first half possession.
The second half started more brightly, with Dan Smith on the end of a well-worked team goal to get a goal back for Royston.
Mike Welding soon levelled the scores with a superb strike before Nick Ross gave Royston the lead from a penalty corner.
Looking set to win, Potters Bar got an equalising goal seconds from time from a penalty corner routine.
The 4ths were the only other men’s team in action and they earned a 2-1 win over Letchworth 5ths. Colin Bateman scored both goals.