Hockey: Royston ladies beat Hertford
- Credit: Archant
With the first team not in action, Royston ladies 2nds took centre stage and earned a 5-0 win over Hertford 3rds.
It took Royston a while to settle in to the game, but the defence kept Hertford from capitalising. The first goal came from Ali Carroll after she capped off a team move by rattling the backboard.
The goal kick-started Royston’s rout as Wendy Holt added the second goal soon after following good work from player of the match Zoe Andrews. A short corner minutes later saw Holt double her tally for the game.
Holt was not done there, though, and she completed a first-half hat-trick with a penalty flick.
The second half saw Hertford up their pace but they were by the strong Royston defence, including great work from Zoe Morland and keeper Eloise Linnett.
You may also want to watch:
Royston’s only goal of the second period came from debutant XJ Ward. She surged through the defence before firing the ball past the goalkeeper.
The ladies’ 3rds were also victorious, beating Saffron Walden 6ths 3-2.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
The men’s 1sts played out a 3-3 draw with Potters Bar. Royston started poorly and quickly went two goals down despite seeing much of the first half possession.
The second half started more brightly, with Dan Smith on the end of a well-worked team goal to get a goal back for Royston.
Mike Welding soon levelled the scores with a superb strike before Nick Ross gave Royston the lead from a penalty corner.
Looking set to win, Potters Bar got an equalising goal seconds from time from a penalty corner routine.
The 4ths were the only other men’s team in action and they earned a 2-1 win over Letchworth 5ths. Colin Bateman scored both goals.