Hockey: Gallery: St Albans ladies up to third
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s ladies’ 1sts moved up to third in the table with a 3-1 win over Ipswich.
After last week’s 3-1 loss to Horsham, the Tangerines responded with a win over the league’s second from bottom side.
Holly Parsons opened the scoring from a short corner in the 28th minute before Sam Archer doubled the lead five minutes later. Emma Millar pegged St Albans back with a goal in the 44th minute but Emma Onien wrapped up the win for the hosts with her second goal in as many games.
“The girls came through a very physical encounter against a determined opposition,” said head coach Matt Burton-Bowen, whose side travel to second-placed East Grinstead this Saturday.
“After last week’s disappointment it is great to be back to winning and playing the sort of hockey we know we can. Sitting third in the table is obviously fantastic, but we need to keep the momentum and get another good result next week.
You may also want to watch:
“East Grinstead will be a tough game, but if we maintain our high standards, keep the team spirit up and win our personal battles there is nothing to stop us getting another three points.The men’s torrid season continued as they lost 2-0 to the league’s bottom side, Brighton and Hove. St Albans remain above Brighton but they are ahead of their relegation rivals but only two points heading into the final stretch of the season.
St Albans face second-placed Southgate in their next game.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 7 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city