Hockey: Crowson hat-trick helps Tangerines close gap
- Credit: Archant
In a battle of second and third, St Albans closed the gap on East Grinstead with a 3-0 win away from home.
Megan Crowson’s hat-trick settled the tie as the Tangerines moved within three points of second place with four games of the season remaining.
Holcombe have all but secured the league title as they have a nine-point cushion at the top but, after the weekend’s result, second place it up for grabs between the two newly-promoted sides.
And, with a slightly easier slate of fixtures remaining, St Albans are well placed to finish the season as runners-up.
The men’s team slipped to the foot of the table with a 6-0 loss to second-placed Southgate. A bad weekend was made even worse with the previous bottom side, Brighton and Hove, picking up a 5-1 win over Teddington.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans are one point adrift of Brighton and Hove and will look to swap places with their relegation rivals on Sunday when they host Richmond and Cambridge City respectively.
Other result: men’s 2nds 3 Hampstead & Westminster 1sts 4.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans