Hitchcock settles top-of-the-table clash for Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town won an exciting top of the table clash against Baldock Town on Saturday (Sept 27) with just one goal separating these two highly-competitive teams.
Mark Hitchcock’s 50th minute strike from the edge of the box made the difference. He was always Harpenden’s most combative player and, after beating defenders on the edge of the box, fired a shot into the left hand corner of the net.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “This was a hard fought game against a good team but we showed lots of character to get a result and grind out a win.
“It was a well taken goal from Mark that gave us the victory.
“We will need to show the same character for the next month as most of our games are away from home.”
You may also want to watch:
Through a fluke of the fixture list, Harpenden have only one game at home, a Tuesday night clash with Southall on October 21, in the whole of the next month.
But the win against Baldock meant that Harpenden have stretched their lead at the top of the SSML Division One to four points.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The game started at a furious pace as both teams knew the importance of the clash.
Baldock had the best of the first half denied by solid goalkeeping from Harpenden’s Sam Taylor.
Hitchcock’s goal steadied Harpenden in the second half but Baldock hit the bar on 70 mins with a header from a corner.
Baldock stretched Harpenden’s defence several times but failed to get the equaliser before Harry Hunt broke clear in the 95th minute and rattled the crossbar with a stunning strike as the team held on for the win.