History made for St Albans Ladies with thumping win in Women’s FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Ladies’ historic first Women’s FA Cup game ended with a memorable 5-0 win over Hartham United, writes Terry Edwards.
Played at the County Ground in Letchworth, the Lady Saints made most of the early running and had a 1-0 lead by half-time.
That came on 14 minutes courtesy of a goal by Ellie Lovelock, pouncing after Gabby Evans had pushed out a Holly Williams effort.
They had the ball in the net a second time only for it to be ruled out for offside but they still needed a couple of superb saves from Lauren Croucher to preserve their lead.
However, it all changed in the second half.
Lovelock found Sophie Hull immediately after the restart and Kayla Johnson made it three on 65 minutes with a shot in off the underside of the crossbar.
It was 4-0 five minutes later, Lovelock getting her second with a free-kick, and the rout was finished by Hull with a low shot.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 6 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 7 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 8 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
St Albans will now play away to Histon in the first qualifying round.