History made for St Albans Ladies with thumping win in Women’s FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Ladies’ historic first Women’s FA Cup game ended with a memorable 5-0 win over Hartham United, writes Terry Edwards.
Played at the County Ground in Letchworth, the Lady Saints made most of the early running and had a 1-0 lead by half-time.
That came on 14 minutes courtesy of a goal by Ellie Lovelock, pouncing after Gabby Evans had pushed out a Holly Williams effort.
They had the ball in the net a second time only for it to be ruled out for offside but they still needed a couple of superb saves from Lauren Croucher to preserve their lead.
However, it all changed in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Lovelock found Sophie Hull immediately after the restart and Kayla Johnson made it three on 65 minutes with a shot in off the underside of the crossbar.
It was 4-0 five minutes later, Lovelock getting her second with a free-kick, and the rout was finished by Hull with a low shot.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
St Albans will now play away to Histon in the first qualifying round.