History made for St Albans Ladies with thumping win in Women’s FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Ladies’ historic first Women’s FA Cup game ended with a memorable 5-0 win over Hartham United, writes Terry Edwards.
Played at the County Ground in Letchworth, the Lady Saints made most of the early running and had a 1-0 lead by half-time.
That came on 14 minutes courtesy of a goal by Ellie Lovelock, pouncing after Gabby Evans had pushed out a Holly Williams effort.
They had the ball in the net a second time only for it to be ruled out for offside but they still needed a couple of superb saves from Lauren Croucher to preserve their lead.
However, it all changed in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Lovelock found Sophie Hull immediately after the restart and Kayla Johnson made it three on 65 minutes with a shot in off the underside of the crossbar.
It was 4-0 five minutes later, Lovelock getting her second with a free-kick, and the rout was finished by Hull with a low shot.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 6 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
St Albans will now play away to Histon in the first qualifying round.