Hill and Smith net to hand Harpenden all three points
AN unseasonally hot and sunny afternoon at McMullen Park in Bedford saw Harpenden Town maintain their early season top of the table position in Division One of the Spartan South Midlands League with a 2-0 success.
A quiet opening period had only a Jimmy Hill free-kick which went just wide to keep the small crowed entertained.
However, everyone was awoken from their slumbers when a Jack Downes free-kick found the head of the Town’s leading scorer Hill who nodded home.
Before Bedford awoke they were two down when Mark Hitchcock set up Adam Smith to fire home with a low shot.
Bedford pressure before half-time gave them no reward with the Town finishing the first half strongly.
You may also want to watch:
Not suprisingly the hosts had a lot of possession in the early part of the second half, but made little impression on a solid Town defence well marshalled by acting skipper Chris Green.
Substitutions were made with Hill taking a knock allowing former U18 Ben Warren a chance and Downes gave way to the hard working Billy Smith.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Matt Lord was forced into action making a good save with 15 minutes to go before the final substitution saw Jamie Taylor come on for Tommy Burns.
Town finished the stronger with chances for Hitchcock and Smith before the referee’s whistle sounded to send Harpenden back down the A6 with all three points.