Herts tennis court second spots
THE Herts Men s and Ladies teams both hit a hot streak in the sizzling sun at Eastbourne from July 21 to July 27. The men started well, as form predicted, by beating North of Scotland on Monday and trouncing Cheshire on Tuesday. This meant the next match
THE Herts Men's and Ladies teams both hit a hot streak in the sizzling sun at Eastbourne from July 21 to July 27.
The men started well, as form predicted, by beating North of Scotland on Monday and trouncing Cheshire on Tuesday. This meant the next match became a high profile challenge against Lancashire in a winner takes all clash.
Herts started fast with wins in all three rubbers in fantastic style. After lunch, Lancs countered with an impressive three wins, leaving the score at 3-3 and lining up an exciting final round. A win for each team left the day to one final match, which unfortunately Lancs snatched, winning the day 5-4 to take the title.
Herts picked up the form to defeat a strong Yorkshire easily on Friday and a depleted and already relegated Kent on Friday, finishing the group in a close second position. Harpenden brothers David Corrie and Ed Corrie featured in the Herts team.
You may also want to watch:
This was a third successive runners up finish for Herts, having won the title in 2005 and they will be returning in 2009 look to take top spot back.
Herts: Captain: Jeff Wayne. Team: Neil Bamford, David Corrie, Ed Corrie, George Coupland, Nik Lester, David Rice, Neil Roskilly, Guy Thomas.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 10 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
Herts Ladies meanwhile had a week of changing fortune in a very mixed group. They began with a tough loss against defending champs Lancashire, before rallying to defeat Buckinghamshire in great style.
This was followed by an amazing display of tennis, beating Surrey on Wednesday. After beating South Wales, Herts took on Warwickshire on the final day to decide the title and it was Warks who took the crown, winning 5-4.
Herts: Alissa Ayling, Holly Bagshaw, Katharine Baker, Laura Burns, Kate Elliott, Claire Ricketts, Sian Southwell-Sander, Katy Williams.