Herts Ladies crowned English champions
GOLF by Alan Booth: HERTS LADIES are English champions for the first time in their history. They clinched the title as they beat Yorkshire by five matches to four in the final at Kedelston Park, Derbyshire
GOLF: HERTS LADIES are English champions for the first time in their history. They clinched the title as they beat Yorkshire by five matches to four in the final at Kedelston Park, Derbyshire
Earlier, as East region champions, they had won all their matches against other region champions Northamptonshire 5-4, Sussex 5-4, Dorset 6-3 and Lincolnshire 6-3.
For Herts it was a case of third time lucky against Yorkshire, who had beaten them in the final the previous two years. Captain Jackie Foster said “I am so proud to be captain of the first Herts winning title team. They were fantastic.”
Against Yorkshire hopes of victory depended on the last match on the course. Herts had trailed 2-1 in the foursomes, but were in determined mood in the afternoon singles, winning three and halving two matches, with one defeat.
“I thought it was going to be difficult after we lost the foursomes, but they all played their hearts out,” said Jackie Foster.
In the foursomes, what proved a vital point came from Steph McEvoy, who chipped in to win her match with Charlie Douglass by one hole after her opponent had pitched to 2ft from the pin.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
In the afternoon singles wins came from Steph McEvoy 4&2, Harriet Key 3&1 and Charlie Douglass 4&2, Lucy Williams gaining a half, as did Charlie Field, who came back from one down with two to play.
In the last match Charlie Douglass gained a vital win at the 16th.
In beating Sussex, Herts gained a remarkable point from the foursomes, Lucy Williams and Charlie Field lost the first five holes, but fought back to gain a last hole victory.