Herts Harries clinch semi-final place
- Credit: Archant
THE Herts Harriers, with a 21-2 win over the Leicester Blue Sox in the national quarter-finals, clinched a place in the semi-finals of the British baseball U17 competition.
This is the first time in Herts Basball Club’s history that the U11 team has progressed this far in the national championships.
At the U14 level, the Herts Cardinals always knew they would have their work cut out against the very strong London Mets in their national quarter-final and, sadly, were eliminated. They are hopeful that they can build on this and progress even further next season.
In an intra-club under-11s competition, the Herts Dodgers overcame the Herts Giants in the deciding final game of the series to lift the championship trophy.
There were no Herts adult teams in action at the weekend, but the club hosted the national quarter-finals at the top level of the game in Britain. A large crowd assembled at Grovehill Ballpark to take in the games, which determined who would complete the four-team line-up at the national championships on September 14 and 15, at Farnham Park, Slough.
The Herts Falcons have already secured top seeding and automatic qualification for the event, and Sunday’s results mean that they will face the defending champion Harlow Nationals in the semi-finals, which will be a tough obstacle in the Falcons’ path towards what they hope will be a first national title.
The under-17 Herts Harriers’ semi-final will be played as part of the same event.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 6 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 7 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 8 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 9 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
- 10 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
A week before the top adult level and the U17s have their championships, the adult fourth-tier Herts Raptors will be in action at Farnham Park on September 7. Their opponents will be Haverhill Blackjacks.
Full more details, visit www.hertsbaseball.com.