Herts drive in seven final-inning runs to beat Metros
- Credit: Archant
Herts Falcons drove in seven runs in the final innings to reach the second round of the BBF Cup.
Falcons and London Metros were drawing 8-8 at the bottom of the ninth before Herts went berserk to take the win.
Pitcher Jose Sosa was awarded the win for the Falcons while record-chasing Maikel Azcuy hit another home run, but as it was a BBF Cup game, it will not count towards his NBL career tally which stands at 35. He needs one more to overtake record-holder Simon Pole. T
he Falcons are also starting to see power from other members of the team - Yvan Pena hit his first home run for Herts.
The Herts Eagles were the underdogs in their BBF Cup first round game against Bracknell Blazers, a team playing one league tier above them. They had to face GB pitcher Jordan Edmonds which made the likelihood of a giant-killing even more improbable.
You may also want to watch:
Despite losing 10-3, the Eagles had one of their better performances of the season so far which will boost team spirit as they turn their attention to the race for the Triple-A play-offs.
There was one other Hertfordshire team in action on Sunday. The Herts Raptors hosted the Essex Redbacks in their second game of the Single-A season. They suffered a 36-13 loss which would suggest that they would need to tighten up defensively if they are to get back in the play-off chase.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 7 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 8 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 A New York state of mind
Both the Falcons and Eagles will have a rest this coming Bank Holiday weekend, but there is a Herts-versus-Richmond double bill on Sunday as the Hawks meet the Dukes at 10:30am before the Raptors face the Squires immediately after that at around 2:30pm. Both games are at Grovehill Ballpark in Hemel Hempstead.