Herts Advertiser Sunday League roundup


Harpenden Arms went through to the next round of the Sunday Intermediate Cup with a hard fought match with Old Grey Mare, writes Brian Hubball.

The Arms went ahead with a goal from James Ewington. Old Grey pulled one back soon after the restart.

This sparked the Arms back to life and two goals from Rob Walker put the Arms 3-1 up, but two goals in the last 10 minutes drew Old Grey level.

Arms took control in extra time with a hat-trick goal for Walker, two for Paul Hale and another for Ewington.

In an evenly contested game it was Cuffley who took the lead halfway through the first half. Six Bells had numerous chances to equalise but poor finishing let them down. Cuffley doubled their score with 10 minutes remaining before Six Bells pulled one back through James Pegrum from the spot.

Most Read

FC Potters Bar moved into the next round with an excellent 4-1 win against Kings Langley CC. Goals came from William Jones, Luke Viala, Ciaran Vieyra and Matt Wright.


Premier Division Nicholas Breakspear OB were on the back foot from the first minute as Division Two side Three Hammers took the game to them.

Hammers were rewarded for their pressure when taking the lead in the 20th minute with a well placed goal from stand-in striker Greg Deacon.

The Hammers knew this would stir Breakspear up and sure enough they were awarded a controversial penalty which was well saved by Ben Payne.

Within minutes Breakspear levelled with a highly disputed equaliser. With only 10 minutes remaining the Hammers were becoming tired and fitness told when Breakspear scored the winner. Hammers’ Man of the Match was Gary Marshall.

Breakspear’s goals came from Danny Fitzgerald and David Parkinson.

Verulam Arms rode their luck in the first half hour and were lucky not to be behind against Phoenix. But when a long ball was put forward Arms’ in-form striker Matt Kennefored finished with a great strike across the ‘keeper.

Arms then started to dominate and Kennefored scored his second when Sam Margerrison played a good pass which was again finished with class.

The second half started cagily and Phoenix were denied a perfectly good goal when the referee disallowed it saying it crossed the byline. The Arms finished the game with the third goal when Baker won the ball and after some hard work found Dean Parratt who teed up Kennefored to complete his hat-trick.

Phoenix fought bravely till the end but were still picked off with some fine counter-attacking football from the Arms. Craig Parratt broke through the Phoenix defence and set up Man of the Match Kennefored to complete the 4-0 win.

Goals from Ben McCafferty, Trevor Stevens and a brace by Frank Jowle edged London Road into the next round when defeating Division One outfit Bradmore Rover 4-3. Rovers’ goals came from Nick Saunders, Paul Rickets and Elliott Wakefield.

Injury struck Beaver Travel had to go to extra-time before defeating Phoenix Res 4-2.

Tim Corcoran edged Beaver ahead before they were shocked by Phoenix through Dan Burrows and an own goal. Veteran Mick Doyle levelled the scores to force the game into extra time where Ish Omar and Nick Bromilow completed the win.

Player-manager Simon Andrews made his long awaited return to football and picked up the Man of the Match award as Skew Bridge overcame Oaklands.

Andrews’ superb solo goal was enough to put the Skew through to the next round.


Lifted Music can be proud of their performance against Vision with several key players missing and losing star man Ricky Petts to injury after just 15 minutes.

Lifted pushed Premier Division Vision all the way eventually going down 2-0. Lifted frustrated Vision for much of the game, going in 0-0 at half time but conceded with just 20 minutes left to go.

Lifted were then hit on the counter attack pushing for an equaliser.

Lifted’s 16-year-old debutant Yannick Saminaden performed admirably. Vision’s goals came from Joel Norris and Oye Ayonrinde.

Two goals by Steve Dorer couldn’t save Oaks from a 4-2 defeat against Blackberry Jack.


Harpenden Colts OB Reserves returned to winning ways with a deserved 4-2 win against Wheathampstead 89 Reserves courtesy of a brace by Andy Cannons and singles by Marc Oakley and Steven Easterbrook.

Sam Lewis and Stephen Miller were pillars of strength in the Colts central defence.

Goals from Harry Honeywood and Luiz Magalhigs helped Vision Res to overcome O’Neills Celtic 2-0.


Oaks went ahead early with a penalty in the first half, although Queens Head Sandridge Res equalised shortly after the re-start through Greg White.

An Adam Fowler goal just before half time put the home team one ahead but Oaks scored midway through the second half to level the scores.

A well worked move started by Ryan Yuill down the right saw Dave Yeo cross the ball for Ross Elliott to seal the victory for Queens 3-2.

Oaks’ goals came from Man of the Match Elliot Hind and Tom Jackson.


Queens Head Sandridge picked up their second point of the season against AFC Rangers.

Robbie Heywood equalised with a bullet header with 90 seconds remaining.

Matt Corran worked tirelessly for 90 minutes.

For the second game this season Roshan Senanayake saved a spot kick.


Hare & Hounds manager Chris Cutmore described the first half of the game with Brookmans Park as the best performance he has witnessed in his four years with the club.

Hounds raced into a five goal lead through Aaron Spink (two), Cutmore (two) and Chris Cornish.

Brookmans tightened up their defence to come back with two goals Danny Clifton and Nick Gaskell to make the 5-2 score respectable.


Will Crowe kept a second clean sheet as Church end ran out 3-0 winners in a closely contested game against White Horse.

Shaun Hoyte headed Church into a 1-0 half time lead with their only chance.

In the second half Nicky Hanly headed Church into a two goal lead.

A defensive mix up almost resulted in an own goal until Nicky Hanly raced through to just about poach his second and Church’s third on the goal line.


IN a tough game against Golden Lion, Marquis of Granby came out on the wrong end of a 5-1 scoreline.

Christy Torrens was in top for Lion netting a hat-trick with Ryan Dixon and Craig Toms adding singles. Nigel Broadhurst replied for Marquis.

Sam Mardle put in a Man of the Match performance for Nicholas Breakspear OB Res in a 3-0 win against Brookmans Park Res. Kurtis Patterson and an own goal were the scorers.

Stuart Crabtree scored and put in a fantastic performance as the Skew Bridge Res overcame Old Albanians 4-1. Adam Facer’s workrate helped Phil Lythgoe to a hat-trick and there were fantastic performances from Steve Jones and Luke Firmin.

The Insurance Store maintained their 100 per cent winning start with a 4-2 victory over St Albans IFC.

Store started the faster of the two sides and most of the first half hour was spent camped in the St Albans half.

It was player-manager Tawid Juneja who put Store ahead on the half hour mark when he climbed to nod home his fourth of the season after great work from Kelvin Caines. The goal was cancelled out by a Spencer Clarke-Mardel finish.

Juneja then turned supplier for Store’s second goal scored by tireless midfielder Cesar Da Silva. The joy was short lived as St Albans got back on level terms with a bullet of a shot from all of 40 yards by Mitch Newson.

With 10 minutes remaining Darren Pomroy danced around two defenders before driving the ball across goal only to see it ricochet off a defender and into the back of the net. With just two minutes left Pomroy again floated a delightful corner into the box for Juneja to finish at the second attempt.

AFC Crown continued on their winning ways - one of four teams in the division with a 100 per cent record - when defeating Wheathampstead ‘89 2-1 with goals from Russell Gallagher and Michael Cattermole.


St Albans Royals kept up their good form with a 3-1 win over White Horse Res.

The first half was pretty even but Royals where 1-0 up at half time after being awarded a penalty. In the second half Royals upped the tempo to score two more goals to seal a third win in a row. White Horse grabbed one back when set piece specialist Dave O’Byrne scored his second free-kick in as many games.

Man of the Match Matt Brand scored a hat-trick for Royals.

Hare & Hounds Res maintained their 100 per cent league record with a 4-2 victory over a hard working Marshalswick Rovers side. Hounds started brightly and were quickly two goals up courtesy of a Jack McNamara double.

Rovers then came back into the game and goals either side of half time by Andy Saunders and Daniel Blyth saw them draw level. However Hounds didn’t panic and secured victory through Paul Goom’s first of the season plus an unlucky own goal. Rovers’ Man of the Match was Andy Saunders

Herts Mauritian started well against Radlett Village and were unfortunate not to score before Radlett netted the first goal after one of their men had been sent off.

Within five minutes Mauritian FC scored through a beautiful goal by Alex Edwards before the same player scored a second from outside the box.

Radlett drew level but a flash of brilliance saw Daniel Morris of Herts Mauritian score.

Ten minutes later Radlett scored their third goal to level at 3-3. Anthony Lennon restored Herts Mauritian’s lead but two minutes from the whistle Radlett scored to level the game 4-4.

Brookmans Park A team put up a strong team performance when recording their first win of the season in a 1-0 scoreline against Colney Heath Rangers Res. The goal came from Ollie Thomas.


Dukes beat Greenwood Park 2-0. Dukes went ahead after 20 minutes when Jimmy Cannon to slotted home.

Dukes ‘keeper Kevin Childs kept Greenwood at bay late on before Jack Johnson’s persistence finished off the game for Dukes. Alex Hanvey was Park’s outstanding player.

Athletico Quat were soon ahead against Cottonmill after a Navin Bhurtun corner found the back of George Stoyle’s head for him to score his first goal for Quat.

The Quat scored a second when Dan Knight made the most of some open space to slot home the second.

After the break Adam White scored a cool header from another Quat corner but Cottonmill scored a grabbed a goal back. White added a fourth with a long range effort before Cottonmill scored a second, but it was the cool Nick Perchard who calmly converted a penalty to make the final score 5-2.

James Brookman and Craig Redgwell scored for Cottonmill.

Sandridge FC were too strong for Bricket Wood, winning 6-0. Sandridge scored with ease and kept a clean sheet to start their season with a bang. Man of the Match was William Unite Jr, who played brilliantly.

The goals came from Robbie Pullman (two), Chris Draddy (two), Unite Jr and Duane Foster.

Raiders United made a great start as their attacking play saw them create many more chances than were taken in a 4-3 win against AFC Mymms.

Raiders found themselves 3-0 up at the break with Ross Larter, Leighton Dewitt and Dean Colby all finishing well after some tidy play.

A strong second half from Mymms saw them pull the score back to 4-3 with goals from Mark Sawyer, Elliott Hook and Adam Davies.

Phoenix A recorded their second victory with a 3-1 win against Camp Albanians.

The goals came from Michael Brindley, Charlie Bunny and Sam Bozier.