HERTS ADVERTISER SUNDAY LEAGUE: Hunt hat-trick chops down Oaks

The latest round of matches in the Herts Advertiser Sunday League


HARRY Hunt netted all three goals for Oaks in their 3-1 victory against FC Potters, his second hat-trick of the season which extended the league leaders’ unbeaten run to six games, writes Brian Hubball.

Ben Southam was FC Potters Bar’s lone goalscorer.


CHURCH End defeated Phoenix Res 2-0 in a scrappy game with limited chances. Danny Essen gave Church the lead before Shaun Hoyte missed a penalty and the chance to double their advantage.

Dean Stanton got the decisive second goal to finish off the scoring.

Most Read

On a difficult Rothamsted Park pitch Harpenden Arms Athletic went into an early two goal lead with goals from James Ewington and Tom Collins.

White Horse pulled one back shortly before half time through Mark Farmer following a mistake from the ‘keeper.

In a close second half White Horse equalised early through Stuart Morgan. Harpenden went down to 10 men and this was soon followed by Horse netting a third with an own goal by Mark Hattam.

With time running out Harpenden pushed everything up front and with the last kick of the game James Ewington slotted in the equaliser.

A tough game between Three Hammers and Old Albanians ended in what was probably a fair 2-2 result over the 90 minutes.

Despite freezing overnight conditions the game was given the go-ahead by referee Turner and it was a lively game from the start.

Against the run of play, Three Hammers struck first with a powerful shot after a poor attempted clearance by the home side. OA’s hit back almost right away though, with Jon Pitman bundling in after good work down the right from Adam Halford.

The second half was another tense affair and after 60 minutes Rob Carragher was fouled in the area by the Three Hammers keeper, winning a penalty after a great ball over the top by brother Jamie Carragher. Unfortunately Pitman was unable to convert from the spot though and the scoreline remained at 1-1. The real drama unfolded in the final six minutes however. An uncharacteristic mistake from OAs’ goalkeeper gifted the away side the lead and the game looked over.

Their wild celebrations proved to be short-lived though as Lee Simpson equalised with a header and then Rob Carragher almost stole it at the death. OAs remain unbeaten in seven league games now.

Three Hammers’ goals came from Craig Taylor and Greg Deacon.


BROOKMANS Park Reserves took an early two goal lead against Old Albanian Reserves with goals from Ryan Painter and Nathan Young.

However they were pegged back with goals in both halves by OAs’ Man of the Match Andy Douglas and James Elson.

Vision Res recorded their second league victory of the season with a hard earned 4-2 success against Marquis of Granby. Despite goals from Callum Fowler and Peter Shepperson, plus a Man of the Match display by Tony Perreira, it wasn’t enough for Marquis to avoid defeat.

Insurance Store pulled off a superb 2-1 victory against Golden Lion to keep their season alive. With five key players missing The Store were forced to field a makeshift side, even calling on veteran coach Pietro Russo as the lone striker.

From the opening whistle Insurance Store were on the back foot defending against a rampant Golden Lion and rarely getting out of their own half but defend they did and remarkably the two sides went in goalless at half time.

The second half saw much of the same with The Store’s defence of Daniel Coyle, Sean Scully and Dan Gill keeping Lion at bay.

Insurance Store then began to push forward and gain in confidence. Matt Godby whipped in a fierce cross which saw Kelvin Caines get his head on, only for the ‘keeper to clear whilst Caines lay dazed on the ground.

The game then had a controversial moment when Coyle dispossessed Golden Lion and played in Mark Winter, with Caines still on the ground in an offside position. Winter beat the ‘keeper with a delightful chip but the linesman had flagged for offside against Caines only to be overruled by the referee.

Golden Lion then began to push for the equaliser and Store’s ‘keeper Jon Barras was made to pull off a number of world class saves to keep his side in the game.

With 20 minutes remaining David Boswell came on to replace the exhausted Russo. The Store’s prayers were shortly answered when Winter was fouled on the edge of the area and Boswell curled the free kick into the bottom corner.

Lion scored a late goal through Christy Torrens but Store held on for a glorious victory.


QUEENS Head Res carried on their good form with a well deserved win over Radlett Village. The game was won in the first half when Robbie Heywood scored with a well placed shot from a corner. Two minutes later a pinpoint cross from Phil Turner picked out Dave Yeo who found the top corner from the edge of the box.

A few minutes late Yeo broke through and delivered a cross for Ross Elliot to tap in from close range and this was then followed by another Yeo cross which found Turner who smashed home to make the score 4 nil to Queens Head at half time.

Queens Head started slowly in the second half and were made to pay early on when Radlett pulled a goal back.

But the Radlett comeback was killed off when Don Campaniello broke through and calmly chipped the goalkeeper.

Turner completed the rout when he scored his second late on in the game to complete a comprehensive win for Queens Head.


ON a debatable playing surface Nicholas Breakspear OBs came through a tricky tie against Hemel Premier Division side The Herald.

NBOB started well with Danny Fitzgerald finishing from close range.

Breakspear dominated most of the play with Herald’s only threat coming from long balls which centre halves Ashley Aimaku and James Lawrence dealt with relative ease.

A strike from Josh Humbert and a neat finish from David Parkinson made it 3-0 to NBOB at half time.

After the break NBOB didn’t get started and Herald scored straight from the re-start. For the next 10 minutes the home side enjoyed some good football but with no end product.

Tom Dickie hadn’t scored in two years but ended that drought with an absolute screamer that flew into the top corner of the net from 30 yards out.

Dickie then added his second soon after making it 5-1. He should have completed a dream hat-trick only for the Herald right-back to take him out just outside the area taking a booking for the team.

Parkinson completed the scoring after finishing off substitute Rob Browell’s pinpoint cross.

For the second year in a row NBOB have reached the County Cup quarter-finals.