Jordan makes Hanburys pay the penalty as Welwyn Warriors claim victory
- Credit: Archant
A Josh Jordan penalty proved to be the only goal of the game as Welwyn Warriors beat Hanburys in Division Three of the Herts Advertiser Sunday League.
A heavy surface made life difficult for both teams although Hanburys had the first chance of the game with a free-kick that was well-saved by Tom Spratt.
The breakthrough came when Jordan nipped between keeper and centre-half and was brought down for the spot kick.
He almost made it two shortly after but hit the post.
The second half saw Warriors camped in their own half but a combination of resolute defending and a poor final ball from Hanburys saw the game finish 1-0 to the hosts.
Jack Marshall, Steven Mee and Jordan were the standout performers for Welwyn.
Elsewhere Marshalswick Rovers fought back to draw 2-2 with Forza Watford, Alex and Jack Messam getting the goals.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 3 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 4 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 5 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 6 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 7 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 8 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 9 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
In Division Two St George beat Mermaid 4-2 thanks to singles for Tom Coates and Joe Smyth and a double for Robert Hadleigh.