One season, two teams, six trophies: A lookback at the 2007-08 season in the Herts Ad Sunday League
- Credit: BRIAN HUBBALL
You can wait years for trebles and yet two came along in one Herts Ad Sunday League season.
Nicholas Breakspear had entered the league in the 2007-08 season and had a year to remember.
They lifted the Herts Intermediate Cup, defeating Nirankari Sports Res 2-0 with goals from Chris Bergin and James Juggins and were also victorious in the Herts Ad Sunday League version of the same trophy, Dillan Muthaian getting both goals in another 2-0 win, this one over Verulam Arms.
The Division Three title completed their remarkable treble.
But they were matched that season by Queens Head Sandridge who were successful in the Premier Division for the third time before clinching two cups.
The first, the Knockout Cup, came with a 5-0 win over London Road thanks to a hat-trick from Chris Wickens and one each for Dave Parkinson and Sam Ledger.
Parkinson then scored another two as a 2-0 win over Icarus saw them lift the Challenge Cup.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
They could have made it four trophies in one year too but they lost in the final of the Herts Sunday Cup.
These memories will all be part of a special commemorative book celebrating the 60th anniversary of the league.
The book, complete with articles and photos of teams and players, will be available from May.
However, because there is so much to cram in, it is also expensive to print and the league will only print to order.
Therefore, they are asking anyone interested in the 224-page tome to place and pay for their copy by April 20.
It costs £15 with payments able to be paid directly into the league’s bank account. The details are: Herts Advertiser Sunday Football League, Barclay’s Bank, Sort Code: 20-74-09, A/C Number: 73990648, with your club name in the reference box.
They will be available from May 2021 and can be collected from the offices of William Lawrence Advertising at The Mission Hall, 26 Clifton Street, St Albans, AL1 3RY, the phone number 01727 833 122.
Alternatively, you can send a cheque for £15 with your address so they can be posted once printing is complete.
For any further queries or information email firstname.lastname@example.org