Hertfordshire in to the knockout stage after Northampton win
- Credit: Archant
Hertfordshire’s short mat bowlers made it through to the knockout stage of the Inter County Championship after a 23-17 victory over Northamptonshire.
The result last Sunday at Northampton Indoor Bowls Club sees Herts finish second in the Division A qualifying group.
They now face a wait to see if they have done enough to avoid the need for a preliminary match.
In a tight game
Session one belonged to the visitors thanks to the performance in the pairs games.
You may also want to watch:
Greenwood Park’s Audrey Fowler teamed with Darren Stanford and the pair led virtually from start to finish with a 17-10 victory.
It was a similar pattern for Pauline Taylor of Harpenden and her partner Jeanette Gayler, who ran out 17-6 winners.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
Northamptonshire recovered to take session two, leaving Herts just ahead at 9-7.
The game swung, in the end decisively, in session three with the bonus points from both the singles and pairs heading to Hertfordshire.
Session 4 ended up in a 6-all tie, enough to send Herts through.
Michael West, Brian McGivern, Brian Hatherly, Adrianne West (Cuffley Hall)
Tony Gayler, Jeanette Gayler, Darren Stanford, Margaret Regan, Peter Griffiths, Graham Yates (St Margaret’s)
Pauline Taylor, John Taylor, Sue Murray, Liz Bradley (Harpenden)
Audrey Fowler, Jill Oakes, Brian Fowler (Greenwood Park)
Margaret Hare, Sam Salmon, Alan Hare (Letchworth)
Hertfordshire (Michael West) 24 Northamptonshire 3
Hertfordshire (Tony Gayler) 10 Northamptonshire 13
Hertfordshire (Audrey Fowler, Darren Stanford) 17 Northamptonshire 10
Hertfordshire (Pauline Taylor, Jeanette Gayler) 17 Northamptonshire 6
Hertfordshire (Margaret Regan, Peter Griffiths, Liz Bradley) 10 Northamptonshire 13
Hertfordshire (Sue Murray, Jill Oakes, Brian McGivern) 18 Northamptonshire 6
Hertfordshire (Adrianne West, Graham Yates, John Taylor, Brian Fowler) 9 Northamptonshire 9
Hertfordshire (Margaret Hare, Brian Hatherly, Sam Salmon, Alan Hare) 3 Northamptonshire 13
Hertfordshire (Michael West) 11 Northamptonshire 15
Hertfordshire (Tony Gayler) 16 Northamptonshire 9
Hertfordshire (Audrey Fowler, Darren Stanford) 15 Northamptonshire 11
Hertfordshire (Pauline Taylor, Jeanette Gayler) 11 Northamptonshire 13
Hertfordshire (Margaret Regan, Peter Griffiths, Liz Bradley) 11 Northamptonshire 7
Hertfordshire (Sue Murray, Jill Oakes, Brian McGivern) 9 Northamptonshire 15
Hertfordshire (Adrianne West, Graham Yates, John Taylor, Brian Fowler) 8 Northamptonshire 13
Hertfordshire (Margaret Hare, Brian Hatherly, Sam Salmon, Alan Hare) 11 Northamptonshire 7
To see all of Hertfordshire’s qualifying group results and the group table visit www.hcsmba.hitssports.com.