Can you guess who finished third in previous World Cups?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s the fixture that no team wants to play, and that nobody remembers, but do you know who won the third place play-off game in previous World Cups?
As much as they won’t want to, two sides will have to kick off at the Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg on July 14.
In 2014, Dutch manager Louis Van Gaal shared his views on the tie: “I think this match should never be played.
“I’ve been saying that for 10 years. We’ll have to play that match. It’s unfair - we have one day less to recover than our opponents, too, so that’s not fair play.
“The worst thing is I believe that, chances are, you lose twice in a row and a tournament where you’ve played so marvellously well you’ll leave as a loser after losing the last two matches.
You may also want to watch:
“That’s my view, but I said that 15 years ago, 10 years ago. In a tournament, you shouldn’t have players play a match for third or fourth place. There’s only one award that counts, and that’s being world champion.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to
- 10 Revealed: The most and least expensive places to buy a property in Hertfordshire