Heath win the derby battle of the Colneys
COLNEY Heath claimed the bragging rights in emphatic style on Saturday with a 6-2 victory against near-neighbours London Colney.
Kevin Ashwood was the star man as he plundered four goals for The Magpies in their handsome victory.
Hosts Colney Heath started very lively and were rewarded when Kyle Powell got the ball after a lay off by Paul Armstrong and he took it past the keeper to open the scoring.
Ashwood then scored two in quick succession with assists from Powell and Jason Williams.
Colney Heath were 3-0 up within 15 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Dickie went close with a header from a Dave Corran cross after 20 minutes.
Half-time came and the Magpies were 3-0 up.
- 1 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 2 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
A short corner between Armstrong and Kevin Ashwood left the latter in space and he unleashed an exquisite curling shot into the top corner for a 4-0 scoreline and complete his hat-trick after 65 minutes.
London Colney were awarded a harsh penalty on 75 minutes and Matt Newman slotted into the corner for 4-1.
Gilbert got wide and crossed to the far post but Ashwood just flashed his diving header wide.
Dan McCaferty blasted a left footed shot across Tom Blackman into the far corner to put London Colney back into the game at 4-2.
Sub Aaron Clarke then capitalised on a defensive mistake to surely put the game out of reach at 5-2, although Newman did hit the bar and force Blackman into a good save as they hit Heath on the break.
Mark Whittamore then saved from Clarke and in the final minutes Ashwood slammed the ball home to make the score 6-2.
n ON Saturday, Colney Heath travel to take on the side directly above them in the SSML Premier Division - Haringey Borough.
With both teams on 13 points, Heath will have to be wary of Borough frontman Darrell Cox, who has scored six goals in six games.