Heath bounce back after Vase defeat with league win
Colney Heath bounced back after exiting the FA Vase with a 4-1 win over London Lions in the SSML Premier Diviison.
Heath travelled to Hemel Hempstead Town’s ground to play against Lions on Saturday.
Facing a youthful Lions side, who occupied bottom spot in the table, the Magpies tried to set the tempo early on but found that their usual good passing game wasn’t functioning at the level that it had been recently.
It took till the 33rd minute to break down a stubborn Lions back line as Matt Standen appeared at the far post to slam the first goal and ease the team’s nerves.
After half-time, with the score 1-0, Lions came out quickly and levelled as the Magpies back line was caught square.
You may also want to watch:
Within five minutes, however, the game was beyond doubt as first Kevin Ashwood, with some assistance from the wind, put Heath ahead and Aaron Clarke made it 3-1 as he finished a good passing move.
Clarke scored his second and 20th goal of the season on 70 minutes and had several opportunities to get a deserved hat trick, but the final finish eluded him.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
The Magpies continued to press and probe at the Lions defence, who fought with resilience and managed not to concede any more before the final whistle.