Hayat and Ahmed take three-fers in narrow win
- Credit: Archant
Moz Hayat and Sagir Ahmed took three wickets each to earn Old Albanians an 11-run victory over Hitchin in Saracens Herts Division One.
Hayat, opening the bowling, gave up just 38 runs in 9.3 overs, removed Hitchin’s top scorer, Dave Moore (51), and took the final wicket, inducing a catch from Luke Day (11), in the last over as Hitchin bowed out for 206.
Sagir Ahmed provided a change of pace when captain Hayat handed him the ball. Hitchin struggled mightily to score off him, with two of his victims falling for 10 runs or less.
Mohammed Haroon took two wickets in two overs to dismiss Farrukh Chodhry two runs short of his half-century and Steven Flint for nine to set up Hayat to win the game in the last over.
It was also a good batting day for OAs, who elected to bat first after winning the toss.
You may also want to watch:
Opener Usman Malik Farooq found gaps in the field on his way to 44, while the number three, wicket keeper Zahid Khan, was OA’s highest run scorer with 65.
A brief wobble in the middle of the order saw Haroon and Ibrar Hussain out in quick succession but Hayat (29), Azhet Mehmood (11) and Ahsan Ali (20) gave the innings some late impetus and set Hitchin a tough chase.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street