Havant point pleases Gray
- Credit: Archant
James Gray admitted his was pleased with a point at Havant and Waterlooville, but lamented that it could have been more if one of St Albans City’s many chances hit the net.
The Saints drew 0-0 with fifth-placed Havant and Waterlooville as neither side were able to find the winner, although it was the 14th-placed side that came closest to doing so.
Speaking to Saintsnet after the game, Gray called Havant a “great side” but felt aggrieved not to steal all three points.
“They’re a great side; they’ve got experienced Conference South players and we didn’t feel we could match them like for like and play how we wanted to so we got bodies behind the ball and played counter-attack,” he said.
“We had the better of the chances, though, and we were unlucky not to take three points. I’m really happy with one point and the reaction after Saturday, which was very positive.”
You may also want to watch:
Forgetting Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Chelmsford City – a defeat which led to Gray eliminating City from play-off contention – was top of the agenda, and the players obliged.
“The lads believed in the tactics. I said we needed to be in the game at half-time, which we were, and maybe go on, keep it tight, and nick one. We were a little unfortante not to take three points but it was a professional performance – the boys did what I asked.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
“It wasn’t a pretty game; the pitch wasn’t great and cut up a lot but we adapted well and I’m slightly aggrieved not to nick it.”