Havant point pleases Gray
- Credit: Archant
James Gray admitted his was pleased with a point at Havant and Waterlooville, but lamented that it could have been more if one of St Albans City’s many chances hit the net.
The Saints drew 0-0 with fifth-placed Havant and Waterlooville as neither side were able to find the winner, although it was the 14th-placed side that came closest to doing so.
Speaking to Saintsnet after the game, Gray called Havant a “great side” but felt aggrieved not to steal all three points.
“They’re a great side; they’ve got experienced Conference South players and we didn’t feel we could match them like for like and play how we wanted to so we got bodies behind the ball and played counter-attack,” he said.
“We had the better of the chances, though, and we were unlucky not to take three points. I’m really happy with one point and the reaction after Saturday, which was very positive.”
Forgetting Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Chelmsford City – a defeat which led to Gray eliminating City from play-off contention – was top of the agenda, and the players obliged.
“The lads believed in the tactics. I said we needed to be in the game at half-time, which we were, and maybe go on, keep it tight, and nick one. We were a little unfortante not to take three points but it was a professional performance – the boys did what I asked.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 9 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
“It wasn’t a pretty game; the pitch wasn’t great and cut up a lot but we adapted well and I’m slightly aggrieved not to nick it.”