Hashmi century isn’t enough to secure victory for Wheathampstead 2nds
A century from Muarif Hashmi was the highlight of Wheathampstead 2nds’ opening day match against Welwyn 3rds but it wasn’t enough to secure victory.
Having been set a target of 239 to win, Welwyn were well behind the run rate but a 10th wicket stand by Jimmy Sumpter and Pial Ashraf saw the teams to a draw.
Batting first, Hashmi partnered Mark Pointer and Alastair Sykes, seeing Wheathampstead to 33-2, before he and Richard Evans (42) put on 151 runs for the third wicket.
Simon Evans added 49 before he and Hashmi fell in consecutive balls. Tim Kiek hit a brisk 42 to see Wheathampstead to 238.
Dave Tree and Gary Mardle opened the bowling and the latter took three wickets. An ecominical spell from Martin kept the score down before re-introducing Tree to clean out the tail.
This left Sumpter and Ashraf as the last men standing. Wheathampstead threw everything at them but they refused to concede their wickets and the game ended in a draw.
The 2nds travel to Chipperfield Clarendon 2nds on Saturday, 1pm start.
- 1 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 4 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 5 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products