Hashmi century isn’t enough to secure victory for Wheathampstead 2nds
A century from Muarif Hashmi was the highlight of Wheathampstead 2nds’ opening day match against Welwyn 3rds but it wasn’t enough to secure victory.
Having been set a target of 239 to win, Welwyn were well behind the run rate but a 10th wicket stand by Jimmy Sumpter and Pial Ashraf saw the teams to a draw.
Batting first, Hashmi partnered Mark Pointer and Alastair Sykes, seeing Wheathampstead to 33-2, before he and Richard Evans (42) put on 151 runs for the third wicket.
Simon Evans added 49 before he and Hashmi fell in consecutive balls. Tim Kiek hit a brisk 42 to see Wheathampstead to 238.
Dave Tree and Gary Mardle opened the bowling and the latter took three wickets. An ecominical spell from Martin kept the score down before re-introducing Tree to clean out the tail.
You may also want to watch:
This left Sumpter and Ashraf as the last men standing. Wheathampstead threw everything at them but they refused to concede their wickets and the game ended in a draw.
The 2nds travel to Chipperfield Clarendon 2nds on Saturday, 1pm start.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre