Wildcats roar as St Albans City Youth U12 tournament goes to the Harvesters side

The Harvesters U12 Wildcats who won the St Albans City Youth six-a-side tournament.

The Harvesters U12 Wildcats who won the St Albans City Youth six-a-side tournament. - Credit: Archant

St Albans City Youth’s U12 six-a-side tournament almost brought a win for the host club – but the trophy did stay in the city.

Harvesters Wildcats took the honours with a 1-0 win in the final against St Albans City Youth Westside, Felix Harris getting the only goal.

City Youth had chances but Finley Evans in the Harvesters goal continued his brilliant form throughout the tournament was equal to every thing they threw at him.

After the match the trophy and medals for both sides were presented by Geoff Watts, chairman of STACY FC, and the club’s press secretary Terry Edwards.

In total 24 teams had been involved in the tournament, which began with four groups of six.

The Wildcats, whose squad was made up of Evans, Harris, Ashton Latter, Declan Wilkinson, Edward Hardie, George Still, Joseph Warren, Aiden Watters and Cian Jelly, came through on top of group A with four wins and a draw.

Still had got six of the team’s eight goals, Latter getting the others.

Most Read

AC Finchley qualified with them for the quarter-finals while City South and City Westfield bowed out, the South getting a 2-1 win over their club-mates thanks to goals from James Evans and Alex Duffy.

Connor Helou scored the Westfield goal.

Elsewhere City Orient and City Central went out in group B and City Boreal exited from group D.

City Westside qualified second from group C, beaten to first place by City Victoria.

Charlie Clark and Theo Robertson both scored two for Westside while Ben Mitchell chipped in with one.

And Mitchell was on target in their quarter-final win over FC Hemel Red while Victoria overcame Harpenden Harriers by the same 1-0 score.

The pair met again in the semi-final and this saw Westside take a 2-0 win courtesy of goals from Clark and Robertson.

Meanwhile the Wildcats’ progression to the final saw they beat Whetstone Jaguars 2-0 in the quarter-final.

Still was on target again, as was Latter, and the Harvesters hotshot scored both in the 2-0 semi-final success over Northwood Reds, taking his tally for the tournament to nine.