Hartley scores twice on Blueboys home debut
- Credit: Archant
Loanee Jimmy Hartley scored twice for London Colney in a 2-0 win over Hadley on Saturday.
The Stevenage FC youngster joined ahead of last week’s goalless draw London Tigers but he grabbed a brace on his home debut at Cotlandswick to lift the Blueboys to seventh in the SSML Premier Division.
Colney started quickly and nearly took a second-minute lead but Hadley custodian Russell Garland saw Hartley’s shot cannon off the post before saving Matt Newman’s rebound. Garland came to his side’s rescue shortly again as he pushed Greg Shaw’s effort round the post.
The goalkeeper could do nothing about the opening goal, though. A long kick by Charlie May was headed into Hartley’s path and he calmly slotted the ball into the net.
Despite the setback, Garland regained the upper hand for the remainder of the first half as Colney led 1-0 at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Early in the second half the Blueboys had a goal disallowed when Russell Gallagher drove the ball across the box and Hartley saw his effort wiped out by the assistant’s flag.
Just after the hour mark Hartley wrapped up all three points as he reacted fastest when Garland saved Martin Collins’s fierce drive to turn the ball in from close range.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans