Harry Hunt and co put Harpenden Town into seventh heaven
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town turned on the style with a 7-1 thumping away to Arlesey Town Reserves to extend their lead at the top of Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
It was the fourth time this year that Town have hit six or more in a game and it puts them four points clear of Langford in second place.
But for manager Danny Plumb, the return from injury of five key players was more important than the manner of the victory.
He said: “It is good to get players back including Harry Hunt, who got a hat trick, and Charley Humberstone who also scored.
“Then we had skipper Jack Cartwright, Charlie Gould and Mike Davies on the bench and I think they will be match fit next week.
You may also want to watch:
“It was 5-0 at half time but we started slowly in the second half and we will need to guard against complacency.
“We are facing tougher games in the next few weeks so it is good that all these guys are returning to fitness.”
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
Matt Sutton started the goalfest with a header from a free kick. Then Hunt was put through one-on-one with the keeper to get the second and Humberstone slotted in the third from a cross.
Hunt got his second from a cross which he turned inside the near post and then Sam James got the fifth just before half-time when he got through with just the keeper to beat.
Town started slowly in the second half and Arseley pulled one back before Hunt completed his hat trick and Kyle McLeish finished the scoring.
Town will travel to bottom of the table Brimsdown on Saturday hoping to put the memories of last year, when they lost both games, behind them.