Harps suffer Chingford loss
London North One Chingford 25 Harpenden 0 HARPENDEN were bought back down to earth following last week s hammering of Welwyn with a 25-0 defeat at Chingford. The home side applied all the pressure in the early stages but poor passing and knock-ons continu
London North One
Chingford 25 Harpenden 0
HARPENDEN were bought back down to earth following last week's hammering of Welwyn with a 25-0 defeat at Chingford.
The home side applied all the pressure in the early stages but poor passing and knock-ons continually hampered their efforts.
A penalty from Chingford fly-half Kurt Forward set the hosts on their way and Forward was involved in the build up to the game's opening try.
The Chingford fly-half launched a penalty into the corner and from the lineout the hosts pack forced their way over the line with Luke Campbell getting the try.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
The Harpenden back three put up a good fight as they tried to keep a determined Chingford side at bay.
The home side eventually got a second try and it was almost identical to the first. A Forward penalty found the corner and, from the lineout, the Chingford pack rumbled over the line with Campbell notching his second try of the match with Forward adding the extras.
Harpenden fought back and enjoyed a spell on top, making use of their speedy backs to put the hosts on the back foot.
This pressure resulted in Chingford conceding a penalty and having a man sin-binned but Harpenden were unable to capitalise missing the penalty and failing to find a way through some resolute Chingford defending.
The hosts added a third try in great breakaway fashion with Forward breaking the tackle and beating the full back to the line.
The second half failed to match the previous 40 minutes for scoring action. To their credit, Harpenden never let their heads drop and defended well.
Chingford were reduced to 14 men for the second time in the game but that didn't stop them adding another try when Matt Hastings crossed the white wash to complete the scoring.