Harps suffer Chingford loss
London North One Chingford 25 Harpenden 0 HARPENDEN were bought back down to earth following last week s hammering of Welwyn with a 25-0 defeat at Chingford. The home side applied all the pressure in the early stages but poor passing and knock-ons continu
London North One
Chingford 25 Harpenden 0
HARPENDEN were bought back down to earth following last week's hammering of Welwyn with a 25-0 defeat at Chingford.
The home side applied all the pressure in the early stages but poor passing and knock-ons continually hampered their efforts.
You may also want to watch:
A penalty from Chingford fly-half Kurt Forward set the hosts on their way and Forward was involved in the build up to the game's opening try.
The Chingford fly-half launched a penalty into the corner and from the lineout the hosts pack forced their way over the line with Luke Campbell getting the try.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The Harpenden back three put up a good fight as they tried to keep a determined Chingford side at bay.
The home side eventually got a second try and it was almost identical to the first. A Forward penalty found the corner and, from the lineout, the Chingford pack rumbled over the line with Campbell notching his second try of the match with Forward adding the extras.
Harpenden fought back and enjoyed a spell on top, making use of their speedy backs to put the hosts on the back foot.
This pressure resulted in Chingford conceding a penalty and having a man sin-binned but Harpenden were unable to capitalise missing the penalty and failing to find a way through some resolute Chingford defending.
The hosts added a third try in great breakaway fashion with Forward breaking the tackle and beating the full back to the line.
The second half failed to match the previous 40 minutes for scoring action. To their credit, Harpenden never let their heads drop and defended well.
Chingford were reduced to 14 men for the second time in the game but that didn't stop them adding another try when Matt Hastings crossed the white wash to complete the scoring.