Harps lose out to Staines
London One North Harpenden 13 Staines 23 A spirited second half comeback couldn t stop Harpenden losing out to Staines on Saturday. Despite the defeat it was an encouraging performance, especially considering Harps are still missing key players. As a r
London One North
Harpenden 13 Staines 23
A spirited second half comeback couldn't stop Harpenden losing out to Staines on Saturday.
Despite the defeat it was an encouraging performance, especially considering Harps are still missing key players.
You may also want to watch:
As a result debuts were given to Rhodes, Gifkin and Graham, the latter was outstanding.
Harpenden played into the wind in the first half and started well with a try in the first 10 minutes following some good defence. A turnover ball and a break from Joe Tennant deep into Staines territory set up Charlie Pattison who touched down in the corner.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Forging ahead for hospice care
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
The home side defended well but eventually conceded a try midway through the first half and two more tries late on in the first period gave Staines an 18-5 half-time lead.
With the wind behind them in the second half, Harpenden kicked well for territory and pressurised Staines, scoring another try through Ollie Wolfe.
This was followed up with a penalty from Jon Barton and an unlikely comeback looked to be on the cards.
However, the visitors held their nerve and added another try to put the result beyond doubt.
It was an exciting game and a good team performance which bodes well for the coming fixtures.
Harpenden: Blake, D Tennant, Gifkin, Roberts, Reeder, Cornthwaite, Wolfe, Graham, A Barton, J Tennant, Pattison, J Barton, Speirs, Rhodes, Haddock. Cross, Singleton, Humphrey.