Harps go through in Vase
FA Vase First Round Qualifying Replay Haringey Borough 1 Harpenden Town 2 HARPENDEN Town progressed to the next round of the FA Vase with a stunning away win to Haringey Borough on Tuesday night. Danny Jeffries, who had gone close with a shot after only
FA Vase First Round Qualifying Replay
Haringey Borough 1 Harpenden Town 2
HARPENDEN Town progressed to the next round of the FA Vase with a stunning away win to Haringey Borough on Tuesday night.
Danny Jeffries, who had gone close with a shot after only five minutes, was involved again in the 23rd minute when he was brought down in the penalty area after some excellent wing play from Richard Taaffe.
You may also want to watch:
The spot kick was calmly converted by Harpenden's leading goalscorer Jimmy Morris to take him to five goals this season.
Haringey pressed hard for an equaliser and were rewarded just before half time when a mix up in the otherwise rock solid Harpenden defence allowed Tolu Popoola to score.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 9 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 10 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
Jack Cartwright came close after 55 minutes when his header was cleared off the line and just when it seemed that the cup tie would slip into another period of extra time, Haringey burst through Harpenden's defence and Charlie Collins made a stunning, well timed save at the feet of the opposition striker.
This shook Harpenden into life and from a last minute corner kick Jack Cartwright flicked the ball on at the front post and captain Andrew Saul lashed the ball into the roof of the net via the underside of the bar.
The referee blew the final whistle immediately after the restart. Harpenden will now play Hadley in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase on Friday, September 18, at Potters Bar.