Harps go through in Vase
FA Vase First Round Qualifying Replay Haringey Borough 1 Harpenden Town 2 HARPENDEN Town progressed to the next round of the FA Vase with a stunning away win to Haringey Borough on Tuesday night. Danny Jeffries, who had gone close with a shot after only
FA Vase First Round Qualifying Replay
Haringey Borough 1 Harpenden Town 2
HARPENDEN Town progressed to the next round of the FA Vase with a stunning away win to Haringey Borough on Tuesday night.
Danny Jeffries, who had gone close with a shot after only five minutes, was involved again in the 23rd minute when he was brought down in the penalty area after some excellent wing play from Richard Taaffe.
The spot kick was calmly converted by Harpenden's leading goalscorer Jimmy Morris to take him to five goals this season.
Haringey pressed hard for an equaliser and were rewarded just before half time when a mix up in the otherwise rock solid Harpenden defence allowed Tolu Popoola to score.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 5 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 9 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
Jack Cartwright came close after 55 minutes when his header was cleared off the line and just when it seemed that the cup tie would slip into another period of extra time, Haringey burst through Harpenden's defence and Charlie Collins made a stunning, well timed save at the feet of the opposition striker.
This shook Harpenden into life and from a last minute corner kick Jack Cartwright flicked the ball on at the front post and captain Andrew Saul lashed the ball into the roof of the net via the underside of the bar.
The referee blew the final whistle immediately after the restart. Harpenden will now play Hadley in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase on Friday, September 18, at Potters Bar.