Harps edge into final
Watford Peace Hospital Memorial Shield Harpenden Rovers 4 Oxhey 3 HARPENDEN Rovers hosted Oxhey from Division One in the semi final of the Watford Peace Hospital Memorial Shield. It took just 20 minutes for Rovers to spark with Ollie Poole crashing a free
Watford Peace Hospital Memorial Shield
Harpenden Rovers 4 Oxhey 3
HARPENDEN Rovers hosted Oxhey from Division One in the semi final of the Watford Peace Hospital Memorial Shield.
It took just 20 minutes for Rovers to spark with Ollie Poole crashing a free kick into the top corner after a foul on hitman Gareth Devoti.
You may also want to watch:
Oxhey equalised when a free kick was lofted harmlessly into the box only for goalkeeper Elliot Thomas to miss his punch and the Oxhey striker easily nodded home.
Harps rallied and the tenacious Ally Watson bulldozed through three challenges before firing in for 2-1. Devoti then neatly fed Joe Burgess who tucked the ball home for a 3-1 lead.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 9 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 10 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
Devoti missed a chance to clinch the tie before Oxhey hit back with two goals to level at 3-3 and take the match into extra time.
Rovers needed inspiration and it came in the form of the talismanic Graham Golds who helped calm the hosts. They regained the lead when Ally Watson found Joe Burgess who beat his man and whipped in a great cross for Andy Palmer to head on for Man of the Match Gareth Devoti to blast in.
Defender Harmer made a vital late clearance to ensure Rovers secured the 4-3 win and progressed to the final.
Rovers' second team also had a cup game which they won at a canter 4-1 to set up a quarter final game against unbeaten Hadley B. The scorers were, Mark Livingstone, Craig Redford, Paul Turner, and Chris Jenkinson.
The Thirds lost to Park Street 2-1 with Steve Conroy netting. The fourth Team lost to away to SWR Garage Door Reserves.