Harpenden U11s crowned county champions
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden CC U11s were crowned Herts County Champions after a dramatic five run win over Old Albanians.
In a rematch of last year’s county final, OAs won the toss and elected to field first.
Harpenden were restricted to 42-5 off 11 overs thanks to some miserly spells of bowling and some very tight fielding.
However, George Thomas and Henry O’Connor both batted with confidence to move the Harpenden innings to 98-5 at the end of 20 overs.
OAs’ response was electric. The opening pair responded at pace and were 33 at the fall of the first wicket after five overs.
The wickets then started to fall and some great bowling from Harpenden slowed the run rate. Joe Seymour’s four-over spell saw him take two wickets for five runs.
There were still wickets in hand and the run rate was still very much achievable but four catches put Harpenden on the front foot.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 3 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 4 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 5 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 6 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 7 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 8 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 9 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 10 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
Needing seven off the last six balls to win, Alec Nicholls took the ball for Harpenden. Three wickets fell in a dramatic last over, two caught and one clean bowled, to wrap up OAs’ innings five short of Harpenden’s total.